Akhmatov Viktor Viktorovich
A prominent hydrograph, astronomer, geodesist, gravimetrist,
researcher of the Barents and White Seas, chairman of the Russian
Born in Petersburg.
He graduated from the Physics and Mathematics Faculty of St.
Petersburg University and was left at the Department of Astronomy
and Geodesy to prepare for a professorship.
Akhmatov's first acquaintance with the Arctic took place in
1899–1901, when he was part of the expedition of the Academy of
Sciences on the island of Western Spitsbergen (“Spitsbergen degree
The expedition surveyors built fourteen signs of the
triangulation network and astronomically determined the coordinates
of thirteen of them.
In addition, they performed a topographical survey of an area of
about 10 thousand square kilometers.
noted that "the members of the expedition acted with
fearlessness, devotion to duty and skill - they more than
conscientiously worked for the benefit of science and for the glory
of the Russian name".
After returning from Svalbard, Akhmatov was appointed custodian
of the Astronomical Observatory and Computing at St. Petersburg
In 1902 he conducted hydrographic and gravimetric studies on Lake
In the period 1903-1907
Akhmatov participated in various expeditions of the Main
performing hydrographic surveys of the White Sea, Lake Onega and
Since 1907, Akhmatov headed the Depot of nautical instruments,
combining this work with teaching at the Maritime Academy.
In the following years, he worked as an astronomer in the
observatory organized by the GGU in 1913, led an expedition to
determine the difference in longitude between the Yugorsky Shar and
Dickson Island by radio telegraph, and made astronomical
observations in this region.
Akhmatov was an assistant to the head of the Main Hydrographic Department on scientific
work, during this period he participated in conducting detailed
hydrographic surveys of the White Sea, headed the editorial board of
the journal “Notes on Hydrography”.
Since 1930, he has completely switched to teaching at the
Military Medical Academy.
The merits of Akhmatov were awarded the orders of
Stanislav of the 2nd degree,
St. Anna of
the 2nd degree,
Vladimir of the 4th degree.
He was buried in St. Petersburg at the
Smolensk Orthodox cemetery: a concrete sink with a cross.
Bay in the north-east of the
Bolshevik Island in the Severnaya Zemlya archipelago.
Opened in 1913, by the hydrographic expedition of the Arctic
on the icebreakers "Taimyr" and "Vaigach".
The southern entrance
cape of the Gulf of Schubert
on the east coast of the southern island of Novaya Zemlya.
Named in 1924
Another name is Cape Yushkov.
Ice pass in the central part
of the Sorkapp Earth on the island of Western Svalbard.
Named in 1899–1901
byexpedition on "degree measurement".