Arngold Eduard-Nikolai Egorovich
member of the hydrographic expedition Arctic Ocean.
Born in St. Petersburg,
graduated the Imperial
Military Medical Academy and the course of scuba diving.
He began serving as a doctor on the ships of the
Pacific squadron, sailed on the squadron battleship "Poltava",
military transports "Bakan" and "Aleut", was a member of the defense
of Port Arthur. Since
1906, he served in the Baltic Fleet: in the Kronstadt hospital, on
the Angara military transport, in the 1st detachment of the Baltic
Sea mine ships. In
hydrographic expedition Arctic Ocean agreed to participate voluntarily.
In the expedition Arngold sailed on the icebreaker "Vaigach" as a
ship's doctor, whose duties, in addition to healing, included
the voyages, Arngold collected significant collections of marine and
land animals, as well as plants.
During the period of stops in various ports of the
Pacific Ocean and at the camps on the coast of the Arctic Ocean, he
provided medical assistance to the local population.
With German accuracy, Dr. Arngold kept a diary throughout the
voyage, recording in detail everything he heard, saw and did. Unfortunately,
on the revolutionary days in Petrograd, a significant part of his
manuscripts perished. Nevertheless,
on the remnants of the materials, the draft abstracts of his
lectures, which he read in Yalta, while being treated for
tuberculosis, his friends and his wife M.N. Arngold
in 1929, after the death of the doctor, released the book "On the
coveted path". It
was actually the first, fairly detailed description of an
outstanding expedition that made the most important geographical
discovery of the twentieth century — the discovery of the Northern
It was believed that Arngold died of tuberculosis in the 1920s. Now
there is reason to believe that he was shot by revolutionary
The island off
the east coast of the island of the October Revolution. Opened
in 1913 by
the hydrographic expedition Arctic Ocean on the icebreakers "Taimyr" and "Vaigach". However,
then this island was mistaken for a cape. The
name on the map appeared in 1928. In
1931 the expedition G.A. Ushakov established
the truth, retaining the name.