Borovikov Grigory Nikitich
Born in the village of Volosovo, Likhoslavl District, Tver
Province, in a peasant family.
For four years he studied at the local district school, and at
twelve he went to work as an assistant at a flour mill.
In 1906, Borovikov went to St. Petersburg, where he worked as a
laborer at the Arthur Koppel factory, and then as a mechanic at the
Once in the St. Petersburg factory environment, an active young
man became involved in political activities.
For organizing a strike protest against the trial of members of
the Social Democratic faction in the State Duma, Borovikov, among
the sixty workers, was dismissed from the factory.
Only six months later, with the help of his comrades, he managed
to get a job at the plant of the Russian-American Joint-Stock
In 1911, Borovikov was called up for active service in the fleet.
In the pre-revolutionary and revolutionary years, he joined the
Bolsheviks, led the arrest of the officers of the battleship
Petropavlovsk, where he served as a bilge driver, became a member
and then chairman of the ship’s committee of the ship and part-time
chairman of the Baltic Fleet Brigade’s crew.
During the civil war, Borovikov, as part of the volunteer
detachment Dybenko, participated in historical battles near Narva
against the German and White Estonian troops, disarmed the ships of
the rebels on the Neva River during the Kronstadt insurgency.
After the Civil War, the field of its activities was the material
support of the ships of the Baltic and Black Sea fleets, the
management of the Baltic Machine School.
In 1929, after graduating from the Naval Academy, Borovikov was
for three years the head and commissar of the F.V.
In 1934, becoming the deputy head of the Leningrad branch of
Glavsevmorput, Borovikov took an active part in equipping the
Chelyuskin flight, and a year later he was appointed head of the
polar station, Fr.
Dickson and the port that was just starting to build.
A year later, writer Boris Gorbatov, who visited Dickson, noted
the dramatic changes that had occurred on the island.
There appeared greenhouses, a department store, residential
buildings, a sports town, a printing house, and active work was
carried out on the construction of moorings.
The first port builders became prototypes for the heroes of the
Gorbatov series of stories under the common name “Ordinary Arctic”.
For organizing the wintering on Dixon Borovikov was awarded the
Order of the Red Star.
After a three-year stay at Dixon, Borovikov returned to Leningrad
and was appointed head of Polar Hydrography.
This was the last leading position that he happened to occupy.
The years of intense activity, which required the complete
commitment of physical and spiritual forces, had their effect.
In 1940, he suffered a severe stroke, after which he was never
able to completely recover.
During World War II Borovikov did not want to leave Leningrad.
Having sent his family to Vologda, he survived the blockade,
trying as much as he could to help the defense of the city: he built
fortifications, was on duty in the air defense units, carried out
He died in Leningrad, buried in the Shuvalovskoye cemetery.
The grave could not be found.
Cape in the north of Kun island
At the suggestion of polar hydrographs, the name was approved in
1963 by decision No. 651 of the Arkhangelsk Regional Executive