Borovikov Grigory Nikitich

Soviet hydrograph.
Born in the village of Volosovo, Likhoslavl District, Tver Province, in a peasant family. For four years he studied at the local district school, and at twelve he went to work as an assistant at a flour mill.
In 1906, Borovikov went to St. Petersburg, where he worked as a laborer at the Arthur Koppel factory, and then as a mechanic at the Tilmano factory. Once in the St. Petersburg factory environment, an active young man became involved in political activities. For organizing a strike protest against the trial of members of the Social Democratic faction in the State Duma, Borovikov, among the sixty workers, was dismissed from the factory. Only six months later, with the help of his comrades, he managed to get a job at the plant of the Russian-American Joint-Stock Company.

In 1911, Borovikov was called up for active service in the fleet. In the pre-revolutionary and revolutionary years, he joined the Bolsheviks, led the arrest of the officers of the battleship Petropavlovsk, where he served as a bilge driver, became a member and then chairman of the ship’s committee of the ship and part-time chairman of the Baltic Fleet Brigade’s crew.

During the civil war, Borovikov, as part of the volunteer detachment Dybenko, participated in historical battles near Narva against the German and White Estonian troops, disarmed the ships of the rebels on the Neva River during the Kronstadt insurgency. After the Civil War, the field of its activities was the material support of the ships of the Baltic and Black Sea fleets, the management of the Baltic Machine School.


Borovikov's house

In 1929, after graduating from the Naval Academy, Borovikov was for three years the head and commissar of the F.V. Dzerzhinsky.
In 1934, becoming the deputy head of the Leningrad branch of Glavsevmorput, Borovikov took an active part in equipping the Chelyuskin flight, and a year later he was appointed head of the polar station,  Dickson Island and the port that was just starting to build. A year later, writer Boris Gorbatov, who visited Dickson, noted the dramatic changes that had occurred on the island. There appeared greenhouses, a department store, residential buildings, a sports town, a printing house, and active work was carried out on the construction of moorings. The first port builders became prototypes for the heroes of the Gorbatov series of stories under the common name “Ordinary Arctic”. For organizing the wintering on Dixon Borovikov was awarded the Order of the Red Star.
After a three-year stay at Dixon, Borovikov returned to Leningrad and was appointed head of Polar Hydrography. This was the last leading position that he happened to occupy. The years of intense activity, which required the complete commitment of physical and spiritual forces, had their effect. In 1940, he suffered a severe stroke, after which he was never able to completely recover.
During World War II Borovikov did not want to leave Leningrad. Having sent his family to Vologda, he survived the blockade, trying as much as he could to help the defense of the city: he built fortifications, was on duty in the air defense units, carried out various assignments.
He died in Leningrad, buried in the Shuvalovskoye cemetery. The grave could not be found.
Cape in the north of Kun island archipelago Franz-Josef Land. At the suggestion of polar hydrographs, the name was approved in 1963 by decision No. 651 of the Arkhangelsk Regional Executive Committee.


Вернуться на главную страничку