Austrian general, military cartographer.
Born in Tarnow. In
1829, after graduating from the Military Academy in Neustadt, he
enlisted in the army with the rank of infantry lieutenant. From
1836 he served in the Quartermaster General Headquarters, from where
he was transferred to the Imperial Chasseurs Regiment in 1852 and
appointed a rapporteur in the Military Department of the Main
Directorate of the Army.
In 1853, Fliegel became the head of the Imperial Royal
Military-Geographical Institute in Vienna, with a return transfer to
the Quartermaster General Headquarters.He held this post until April
1872, with a short break in 1859, when in the rank of Adjutant
General of the 4th Army he participated in a military campaign. In
April 1872 he retired.
(photo by EA Gusev)
During the 19-year-old leadership of the Military
Geographical Institute, Fleegeli did a lot for the development of
this institution and the first-class organization of the domestic
cartographic service. He
gained wide popularity by rendering great services in the
triangulation and mapping of his country, as well as in the European
degree measurement in 1861. Under
him in the late 1860s, a topographic and geodetic survey of the
Austro-Hungarian monarchy was conceived and started, which ended
after his death in 1887.
Upon his retirement, Fligeli until 1875 remained
the president of the Austrian commission of degree measurement.
He died in Vienna.
north of the island of Rudolph, the northernmost
point of the archipelago Franz Josef Land. Opened
and named on April 12, 1874, by