Glazenap Bogdan (Gotlib) Aleksandrovich
Russian military sailor, admiral.
Born in the province of Livonia.
He began his service in 1824 as a midshipman of the Naval Cadet
Corps, from which he was released in 1826 by a midshipman.
In the years 1826-1829
made a voyage around the world on the sloop "Senyavin" under the
command of F.P.
In 1831, Glazenap participated in the suppression of the Polish
uprising and the capture of Warsaw, until 1834 sailed across the
German and Baltic Seas.
In 1834, he was appointed adjutant to the Chief of the Main Naval
Staff, and until 1838 he sailed on court courts, accompanying those
of the royal family.
In 1839, Glazenap first came to Nikolaev, with which he would
later have a long period of service.
In this and the next 1840, he participated in the landing of an
assault force on the Abkhaz shore.
From 1841 to 1845, Glazenap was again on the Baltic, where he
commanded various vessels of the Baltic Fleet, and in 1845 again
accompanied the highest persons in the voyage.
During the years 1851–1855
Glazenap was director of the Naval Cadet Corps, was promoted to
Rear Admiral, and was assigned to the retinue of Emperor Nicholas I.
In 1857, he was appointed Chief Commander of the Port of
Arkhangelsk and the military governor of Arkhangelsk, and in 1858 he
was given the rank of Adjutant General.
Three years later, Glazenap again enters the Black Sea, becoming
the Commander-in-Chief of the Nikolaev port and the Nikolaev
In this post, he spent about 11 years, leaving a good memory of
himself. As they wrote, he "... is one of the few to whom our
Nikolaev land owes its prosperity ...". In Nikolaev, Glazenap was in
a difficult period for the city, when, after the Crimean War and
surrender Sevastopol shipbuilding on the Black Sea was discontinued.
The new governor paid much attention to the development of the
city itself, education, industry and commerce.
Under him, the city and the port became open to the entry of
foreigners and the entry of foreign ships.
A wharf was built, customs were opened, foreign (maritime) trade,
especially grain, was widely developed.
The construction of the Invalid farms began, a gymnasium for men,
a vocational school, private schools and boarding schools, 27
literacy schools, a city statistics committee, a women's gymnasium,
Pedagogical courses, a South Slavic boarding school, the first
kindergarten were opened;
the first newspaper, Nikolayevsky Vestnik, was established,
several banks and commercial companies were opened, the Rocket Plant
began to work, the address-calendar of Nikolayev was published;
Two theaters gave performances in the city, several foreign
consulates were opened, and the paving of several central streets
As a token of appreciation for this fruitful activity, the City
Duma renamed Moldavanskaya Street to Glazenapovskaya, and awarded
Glazenapu himself the title “Honorary Citizen of Nikolayev”.
In 1861, Glazenap was promoted to vice admiral, and in 1869 he
became a full admiral.
From 1871 he entered the Admiralty Council and moved to St.
Glazenap was the author of several articles in the Sea Collection
and the chief editor of this journal since the first year of release
Since 1847, he is an indispensable member of the Marine Technical
Committee, in 1877 he was elected an honorary member of the Nikolaev
The merits of Glazenap are marked by domestic orders of
Vladimir of 1 degree,
2 degrees with swords and
4 degrees with bow,
St. George 4 degrees (for 18 maritime campaigns,
Stanislav 1 degree,
St. Anna of 1
St. Alexander Nevsky, as well as the Prussian Orders of
of Jerusalem and the
Eagle, 3rd degree,
Order of the Sword, Commander's Cross, Netherlands Order of the
Netherlands Lion and 1st Class Oak Crown, Neapolitan Order of
Francis, 3rd Order Commander's Cross, French Order
the Legion of Honor
and the Commander's Cross and the Danish Orders of
Danebrog Commander's Cross and Danebrog Commander's Cross. In
addition, he was awarded a gold medal for his efforts to free Black
Sea settlers assigned to the Admiralty, and a special distinction to
commemorate the successful implementation of the Regulation on the
Abolition of Serfdom.
He died in Wiesbaden.
Harbor at the southwestern
Arakamchechen in the Bering Strait.
Named in 1828 by F.P.