Glotov Alexander Yakovlevich
naval officer, honorary member of the State Admiralty Department,
Born in the Voronezh province.
At the age of 11 he entered the Naval Cadet Corps, from where in
1794 he became a midshipman.
For special diligence and diligence the following year he was
promoted to corporals, and then to sergeants.
He received his first acquaintance with the sea in 1794, hitting
the ship of admiral
"Victorious", which for three years sailed in the Baltic Sea.
In 1797 he was promoted to midshipmen, participated in the
campaign at Krasnaya Gorka.
In 1804 he became a lieutenant, and a year later he completed the
naval service, was counted among the State Admiralty Department and
was appointed supervisor of the model chamber and museum.
Even at a young age in Glotov, great abilities were revealed in
After having familiarized himself perfectly with the maritime
affair, after completing his service, he put a lot of effort into
improving this specialty.
In 1807, Glotov built the exact model of the 44-gun frigate,
which was donated to Emperor Alexander I.
Glotov led the construction of the telegraph on the southern
coast of the Kronstadt Bay, was engaged in the construction of the
ports of Kronstadt and Revel.
He combined this activity with work in a modeling workshop and a
museum of the Admiralty.
In 1821 he was elected to the honorary members of the Admiralty
Another area of interest Glotova was literary activity.
In his list of published works "Search for ship armament
accessories", "A way to lift sunk cargoes", "A way to save the crew
during a crash", "A way to replace a lost steering wheel", "A way to
arrange a binnacle", etc. Unfortunately his works such as Materials
for the History of the Russian Fleet and the Maritime Slovolokatel.
The last work is a complete sea encyclopedia containing all words
related to navigation, shipbuilding, mathematics, artillery and
Glotov was a member of the St. Petersburg Society of amateurs of
science, literature and the arts, as well as the Free Economic
An island in the middle of the
Kostin Shar strait near the west coast of the southern island of
Named in 1839, a member of the expedition
conductor A. Kerner.