Romanov Petr Mikhailovich
(06.21.1851 - 07.31.1911)
statesman, director of the General Chancellery of the Ministry of
Finance (1892-1897), comrade (deputy) of the Minister of Finance
(1897-1904), privy councilor, hereditary nobleman.
Born in Tsarskoye Selo in the family of a home teacher.
He graduated from the 5th St. Petersburg gymnasium, and then - the
Faculty of Physics and Mathematics of St. Petersburg University
(1873) with a Ph.D. in mathematics.
Since February 6, 1874, Romanov served in the Provisional Revision
Commission of the State Audit Office with the rank of college
secretary, and after three years received the rank of titular
adviser. In subsequent years, he was a member of the Special
Chancellery for the credit part of the Ministry of Finance, headed
the railway department in the Special Chancellery for the credit
part of the Ministry of Finance, was vice director of the Department
of Railway Affairs, from September 1892 to 1897 the director of the
general office of the Ministry of Finance.
In 1893, Romanov received the rank of State Councilor, and in May
1896 - the rank of Privy Councilor.
At the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, Romanov was a friend of
the Minister of Finance under the Ministers
S.Yu. Witte and
E.D. Pleske was one of Witte's closest employees.
From January 1905 until his death he was a member of the Council of
State, in which he headed the financial commission.
His merits are marked by the highest Russian orders:
St. Alexander Nevsky,
St. Stanislav 1
St. Anna 1
White Eagle, as well as foreign: Serbian Order of Savva 1
Chinese Order of the Double dragon 2
1st class, with a large cross of the Austrian Order of Franz Joseph,
the commander's cross of the French Order of the Legion of Honor.
Collected paintings by Russian artists. In his collection there were
valuable portraits of the 18th and first half of the 19th centuries,
which were repeatedly exhibited at historical exhibitions of
He died in Tsarskoe Selo. He was buried at the
in St. Petersburg.
Bay in the west of Bear Bay on the
Kara coast of the northern island of Novaya Zemlya. Named by artist
whom Romanov financially supported during his studies at the Academy
of Fine Arts.