Bernawski Witold Marian
(02.12.1898 - 30.06.1957)
Polish engineer and teacher, member of the People’s Republic parliament in the first period (1952-1956).
Born in the city of Sosnovichi.
Before the First World War, he studied at a commercial school in Moscow. In 1915, together with his family, he went to Smolensk, later returned to Moscow, where in 1917 he took part in the October Revolution. In 1917-1918 he worked in the People's Commissariat of Internal Affairs of Soviet Russia.
In 1918 Bernavski returned to Poland. He continued his studies at the Warsaw Polytechnic Institute (previously he was educated in Nizhny Novgorod), and also continued his studies at the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences of the University of Warsaw, where in 1929 he received the right to teach.
In 1932 Bernavski graduated from the Technical University with a degree in engineering and mechanics, after which he began working at this university as an assistant in the metalworking department of the Warsaw University of Technology (since 1938 - Associate Professor). He was engaged in the theory of machining, combining this with work in the Central Laboratory of National Armament Companies, where he created several samples of instrumentation.
In 1934 Bernavsk and took part in the first Polish expedition to Spitsbergen, during which Polish scientists developed geological maps of the northwestern part of Torell Land. Bernavsky served as a topographer and radio operator.
During the Second World War, he participated in the secret higher education (in technical training courses at the Warsaw University of Technology). He was imprisoned at Paviik. In 1945, Bernavski returned to scientific work, becoming the head of the department of metallurgical mechanics of the Mining Academy (in 1947 he was deputy dean, from 1948 - vice-rector). Then (until the end of his life) he was the director of the Institute of Science and Research on Machine Tools and Mechanical Processing.He was a corresponding member of the Polish Academy of Sciences.
In 1952 he was elected to the Sejm of the Polish Parliament. He was a member of the Budget and Industry Committee (as Vice-Chairman).
In 1949 the President of the Republic of Poland, Boleslav Berut, awarded him the Order of the Labor Banner, Class I. He was also awarded the Gold and Silver Cross of Merit.
He died in Warsaw, was buried in the war graveyard of Povazki in Warsaw.
The glacier is 4 km long north-west of the Zavadsky glacier on the Land of Turel. The coordinates are 77° 19.7'N 16° 03'E.
Вернуться на главную страничку