Blaramberg Ivan (Johann) Fedorovich
military topographer, lieutenant general.
Born in Frankfurt am Main. Early
lost his parents and brought up by his aunt. In
1820 he entered the University of Hesse, where he attended lectures
on mathematics, statistics and various legal disciplines.
In the spring of 1823, Blaramberg, at the invitation of his
uncle, the famous archaeologist I.P. Blaramberg,
appeared in Russia and settled with his relatives in Moscow. During
the year he studied Russian language, history and geography,
improved in French literature, mathematics and drawing, in 1824 took
In 1825, Blaramberg moved to Petersburg and entered the Institute
of the Corps of Railway Engineers, from which he graduated in 1828
and received the rank of lieutenant.
His service began in the Balkans, where he sketched the
battlefields of the Russian-Turkish war of 1828–1829, scenes of
battles and architectural monuments, and also collected coins, old
weapons and other antiquities.
In 1830, Blaramberg was transferred to the General Staff and
appointed to the Separate Caucasian Corps, in which he participated
in hostilities and was awarded the Order of St.
Vladimir of 4 degrees, and
a gold sword “for bravery”.
During 1832–33, he carried out a great work on the description of
the Caucasus, for which he received a large monetary reward and the
Order of St.
Stanislav of 3 degrees, then as part of the expedition of G.S. Karelina
studied the shores of the Caspian Sea. The
results of this work were published by him in 1850 in the
publication of the IRGO, into which he was admitted immediately
after the founding of the Company in 1845 on the recommendation of
its founders F.P. Litke and F.P. Wrangel.
Blaramberg devoted many years to work in Central Asia, Persia,
Afghanistan, participated in hostilities. In
1839, he prepared and sent to St. Petersburg a memorandum entitled
“A Look at Contemporary Events in Afghanistan” and a review paper
“Information about Khorosan, Four Oymaks, Gezar, Uzbeks, Sistan,
Balochistan and Afghanistan”, in 1840 a detailed note “Siege the
city of Herat, undertaken by the Persian army under the leadership
of Magomed Shah in 1837 and 1838", and Statistical Review of Persia.
From 1843, Blaramberg served as chief quartermaster of the
Separate Orenburg Corps, and from 1845 he was already a colonel and
a full chief quartermaster. Under
his leadership, a topographical survey of the Kyrgyz steppe,
Ustyurt, the Southern Urals was carried out. For
differences in military operations against Kokand, Blaramberg was
promoted to major general in October 1852, and three years later
transferred to St. Petersburg at the disposal of the Minister of War
and the quartermaster general of the General Staff.
The result of his many years of work in Orenburg
was the work “Military Statistical Survey of the Kyrgyz Kaisak Lands
of the Internal (Bukeevsky) and Zauralsky (Lesser) Hordes of the
Orenburg Office for Reconnaissance and Materials Collected on the
Site, Compiled by the Chief Quartermaster of the Orenburg Corps
General Staff Colonel Blaramberg.
In St. Petersburg, Blaramberg led the compilation of the “General
Map of the Russian Empire”; in 1862, he was promoted to lieutenant
1863, he was appointed manager of the Military Topographical Part of
the General Directorate General Directorate; in 1866, he was
appointed Head of the Military Topographical Department of the
General Staff and Head of the Military Topographers Corps.
In 1869, he became a member of the Military Scientific Committee
of the General Staff, and in October 1869 - a member of the
Commission under the Ministry of War for the distribution of
this his brilliant eventful career ended.
In addition to the Order of St. Stanislav 3 degrees, the merits
of Blaramberg were marked by the Russian orders of St. Vladimir of 2, 3 and 4 degrees,
St. Anne 1 and 2degrees, St.
Stanislaus 1 degree, St.
George 4 degrees, the White
Eagle and foreign
orders of the Persian Leo
and Sun 1 degree with ribbon and 2 degrees with diamonds,
of Mauritius and Lazarus 2
degrees with star.
Blaramberg spent the rest of his life at the estate of his wife
on the Chernaya River near Sevastopol. Here
he wrote and prepared for print memoirs, published in 1872–1875 in
Berlin in German.
the far northeast of the island of Edge, Svalbard archipelago. Named
by the German geographer A.