Deryugin Konstantin Mikhailovich
Soviet hydrobiologist, hydrologist and zoologist.
Born in St. Petersburg in the family of a lawyer. Until
1896 he lived in Pskov, where he graduated from the gymnasium.
From his youth, Deryugin showed an interest in the knowledge of
the animal world. Already
in his first year at St. Petersburg University, in which he enrolled
in 1897, Deryugin published his first scientific work on the birds
of the Pskov province. During
these years, he began his long journeys: to the Ob, southwestern
Transcaucasia, and Asia Minor, whose main purpose was to study the
results of the trips, as a rule, were recorded by him in the form of
In 1899, Derugin traveled around the White Sea and in Lapland. This
region, as well as the Barents Sea, were the objects of its
expeditionary research in subsequent years.
In 1900, Deryugin brilliantly graduated from the university and
was left at the department of zoology and comparative anatomy of
vertebrates.Thanks to independent training, he mastered the courses
of hydrology, hydrobiology and ichthyology, which at that time were
not taught in Russian higher education. He
paid special attention to studying the fauna of the Kola Bay of the
In the period 1900–1907 Deryugin
made a number of foreign trips, the purpose of which was to get
acquainted with the methods of research of the best foreign
zoologists and popularize domestic, including his own scientific
considered it necessary to move from temporary, seasonal
expeditionary work to stationary observations. Much
effort and time was given to them to organize and equip the Murmansk
Biological Station, as well as to build specialized research
vessels.In January 1909, Deryugin was awarded the Order
of St. Stanislav of the 3rd
degree for his efforts in organizing the Murmansk Biological Station
and building the research vessel "Alexander Kovalevsky".
Since 1910, Deryugin combined scientific and teaching work at St.
Petersburg University. In
1915 he received the degree of Doctor of Zoology and Comparative
Anatomy.The basis of his dissertation was the materials on the Kola
World and Civil wars forced to interrupt expeditionary work on
reservoirs, during this period his teaching activity came to the
1917 he became an associate professor, and the following year a
professor at Petrograd University. In
1929, Derugin organized a department of hydrobiology and ichthyology
at Leningrad University, which he managed until the end of his life.
From 1924 to 1931, Deryugin headed the Peterhof Biological
Institute and attracted many university professors to his work. He
has always been an enthusiast of creating natural science museums,
giving them a huge scientific and educational role.
After the end of the civil war, Derugin launched extensive
research in the Neva Bay and the Gulf of Finland, and then on the
Kola Peninsula, the White and Barents Seas.
After 1925, his gaze turned to the poorly studied seas of the Far
East, where research has acquired a large scale. The
Pacific Fisheries and Oceanography Research Institute (TINRO) was
organized, the first director of which was Deryugin. His
work on the Far Eastern seas amounted to a whole era in the history
of marine research. In
1935 Deriugin was awarded the degree of Doctor of Biological
IN house 29. Here Derjugin lived in apartment 11 at the
time of 1934
The works of Deryugin were marked by
numerous scientific awards. Among
them is the gold medal of the Petersburg Society of
Makariev Prize of the Russian Academy of Sciences for
research on the Barents Sea (1917); Prize
of the National Commissariat of Education; Litke Medal
was an honorary member of the Society of Naturalists (in
Petrograd - Leningrad) and a lifelong member of the
Linean Society in Lyon (France).
Konstantin Mikhailovich Deryugin died suddenly in Moscow,
returning from a scientific meeting. Death
overtook him at the time of his prime, on the crest of a creative
few days before, scientists in Leningrad and Moscow called him a
worthy candidate for full members of the USSR Academy of Sciences.
Buried in Leningrad on Literary
footbridge Volkovsky cemetery. Gravestone
- granite stela-rock.
the north-west of the island. George Land Archipelago Franz Josef
Named by Soviet cartographers in the 1950s.
the northeast of the island Bolshevik of the archipelago Severnaya
g / e SLO in 1913. Named
in the 1920s.
Salt lagoon-type lake on
the coast of Rusanov Bay on the Kara coast of the northern island of
Novaya Zemlya. Named
in 1925 by the expedition of the Institute for the Study of the
North under the leadership of R.L. Samoylovich.