Canadian fur merchant, arctic explorer.
Born in Michiliamakkinak on Lake Michigan, raised in Montreal. He
began his service in the North-West Company and for several years
before the merger of this company and the Hudson Bay Company in 1821
lived in the Mackenzie River district. After
consolidation, Dis became the main merchant in the Hudson's Bay
1825 he was entrusted with the food supply of the second expedition
Franklin, in 1831 he replaced U. Conolly as the manager of the
district of New Caledonia.
While working for the Company, Dis experienced all the
difficulties and hardships that befell an Arctic traveler, he knew
the language and customs of the Eskimos, and acquired the skills and
abilities necessary to work in the Arctic. It
is these qualities that determined his appointment as the leader of
an expedition organized by the head of the Company, D.
Pelly, with the aim
of surveying the Arctic coast of North America. His
companion was T.
Simpson - nephew of
Governor J. Simpson.
During 1837–1839 two
previously unexplored sections of the coast were mapped: the western
- between Cape Barrow and Cape Povorny in the eastern part of
the Hud Delta, which J. Franklin reached in 1821, and the
eastern - from the mouth of the Mednorudnaya River to the western
coast of the Butiya Peninsula.
Travelers descended from Fort Chipevayan on Lake Athabasca along
the Great Slave and Mackenzie rivers,
reached the sea and walked west along the coast, breaking 500 km —
more than the G. Franklin party in 1826.
They wintered in 1837–1838 on
the shore of the Great Bear Lake and in the spring went to the mouth
of the Copper Mine River. Having
reached it, we went along the coast to the east, repeated the
shooting of Franklin to Cape Povorny and went deep into an
unexplored area of the coast. Moving
on foot along the coast, seen in the north Victoria
After wintering again on the banks of the Bolshoi Medvezhiy in
the following 1839, the boats “Castor” and “Pollux” passed to the
mouth of the Big Fish River, studied by J.
Back in 1833–1835,
and further to the mouth of a small river in the southern parts of
the Boothia peninsula, which was named Castor and Pollux. On
the way back we visited
King William Island,
where after nine years Franklin's expedition will find its end.
The Simpson and Dis expedition traveled 2,400 km in boats, which
was a record for the Arctic. The
results are superior to what was achieved by their predecessors in
the area, but its leaders did not receive due recognition, although
Simpson was awarded the gold medal of the London Geographical
Simpson and Dis in their homeland, they were looked upon as simple
industrialists who were not worthy of being placed on a par with
In 1840, Dis went to England, from where he returned to Canada
only three years later. He
left the service and settled in his estate in Cote- Saint-Catherine near
Montreal, where he lived until his death. He
was buried in Mount
Entrance to Mount
of Queen Maud Bay in northern Canada in the Beaufort Sea.
Victoria Island and the North American mainland. Named
T. Simpson in 1838.
A bay on
the north coast of Alaska near Cape Barrow. It
was opened by the expedition of P. Dis and T. Simpson in 1837.
in the northern part of the Great Bear Lake in Canada. Opened
and named in 1825 by D.