Galanin Konstantin Semenovich
engineer-capitan rank 1 rank.
Born in the village of Yagorba, Mologa district, Yaroslavl
province, in a peasant family.
In 1927 he graduated from the Higher Maritime School named after
and was assigned to the Northern Hydrographic Expedition, as part of
which participated in the hydrographic survey off the west coast of
Novaya Zemlya and in the White Sea. Then
led the hydrographic work in the Gulf of Finland.
In 1934, Galanin graduated from the Hydrographic Faculty of the
Military Medical Academy, in 1941 headed the GU State Medical
In September 1941, a decision was made to relocate the State
Institution of the Main Directorate of Medical and Social
Development to Krasnoyarsk. The
move was carried out in several groups.
The first group of officers of the Directorate with part of the
valuable documents was evacuated by car through Shlisselburg and
survived the bombing in the Shlisselburg region, the group safely
The second group, consisting of the command and part of the
officers of the Directorate, crossed Lake Ladoga by gunboat and also
arrived safely at their destination.
The third group, which included several officers of the Office
and the Cartographic Department, as well as a significant part of
the employees of these units, were sent across the lake by barge. There
were cadets and the command and teaching staff of the Higher Naval
Hydrographic School named after GK Ordzhonikidze
and cadets of other naval schools. In
total, the group consisted of about one and a half thousand people.
were taken by train to the station of
Lake Ladoga. On
September 17, the tug "Eagle" with a barge left Osinovets in the
direction of Novaya Ladoga. During
the storm, the cable connecting the barge with the tug broke, the
hull of the barge was damaged, it began to sink into the water. The
tragedy occurred in the area of
Ptinov Island. About
200 people picked up the tug, the rest died. Galanin
and his wife were among the dead.
In commemoration of the sailors who drowned and died on Ladoga in
1941–1944, a memorial “Ladoga Kurgan” was created 500 m south-west
of Lake Ladoga station with the names of all the victims.
the island of South Hochstetter. The
name was given by polar hydrographs and approved in 1963 by the
Arkhangelsk Regional Executive Committee (Decision No. 651).