Hall Roman (Robert) Romanovich 
(09.02.1761-23.01.1844)


Russian sailor, admiral, member of the Admiralty. 
He was accepted to the Russian service from the English fleet. In 1774, with the rank of midshipman, he came from Livorno to Kronstadt with the squadron of Admiral Greig.The next year he studied at the Marine Corps, and in 1776–1778. sailed in the Gulf of Finland and the Baltic Sea. 
In 1782, Gall, in the rank of lieutenant, was transferred to Arkhangelsk, from where he made two voyages to Kronstadt. 
In 1785, Gall was included in the "Northeast secret geographic and astronomical expedition" under the leadership of I. Billings. He was charged with overseeing the construction of ships. During the years 1789-1792. he explored the Sea of Okhotsk and the Bering Sea, following the Billings vessel "Glory to Russia". The Billings plan to bypass the Chukotka Peninsula by sea failed, and the expedition returned to St. Petersburg in 1794. 
In subsequent years, Gall commanded the ships sailed in the Gulf of Finland, the Baltic and the North Sea, rising to the rank of rear admiral by 1803. 
In the period 1805–1807 
on the occasion of a break in relations with England, Gall was removed from office and, together with other Englishmen who were in the Russian service, was sent to Moscow. However, in 1807 he was promoted to the rank of vice admiral. 
In 1810, Gall took Russian citizenship and was promoted to chief commander of the Black Sea Fleet and ports. His further brilliant track record included the command of the ports of Riga and Arkhangelsk, as well as the post of military governor of Arkhangelsk. In 1830, Galla was promoted to full admiral, and in 1836 he became a member of the Admiralty Council. 
Gall was awarded numerous Russian orders, including St. Alexander Nevsky with diamonds, White Eagle, St. Anna 1 degree and others. 
Suddenly died in St. Petersburg, while serving in the English Church. He was buried at the Volkov Lutheran cemetery . The granite altar is largely destroyed. 
Cape northern entrance to Knipovich Bay on the Kara coast of the southern island of Novaya Zemlya. Described in 1833 and named P.K. 
Pakhtusov.

 

Return to the main page