Grigoriev Andrei Aleksandrovich
physical geographer, academician of the USSR Academy of Sciences.
Born in Tsarskoye Selo near St. Petersburg.
After graduating from St. Petersburg University in 1907,
Grigoriev improved in geography at the universities of Berlin and
1909 to 1916 he
collaborated in the department of geography of the Brockhaus and
Efron Encyclopaedic Dictionary.
Since 1918, Grigoriev participated in the organization of the
Geographical Institute in Leningrad - the first higher geographical
educational institution in Russia. He
was his professor and dean; from
1925 to 1936 was
a professor of the Leningrad State University.
Grigoriev's field studies were carried out in the
Bolshezemelskaya tundra, in the Southern Urals, in Yakutia and on
the Kola Peninsula. He
was a member of the Main Editorial Board of the 2nd edition of the
Great Soviet Encyclopedia, was the chief editor of the Short Geographic Encyclopedia.
On the initiative of Grigoriev in 1918, a department of
industrial-geographical study of Russia was organized under the
Commission for the Study of Productive Forces of the Academy of
Sciences, which was later transformed into an institute of
1951 he was its director, and later headed the department of the
history of geography.
The main works of Grigoriev concern the issues of the general
theory of physical geography, the principles and methods of
physical-geographical regionalization, the characterization of types
of geographic environments, the history of the development of
geographical thought in Russia and abroad.
St. Petersburg English Prospect, 2. Here
in the apartment number 10 lived Grigoriev at the time
of 1934. At
this address, and now live Grigoriev
He developed the doctrine of the geographic shell of the Earth. His
monograph "Subarctic" was in 1947 awarded the Stalin
Prize 2 degrees. Grigoriev
was awarded the
Order of Lenin and World
War II degree, 2 Orders of
the Red Banner of Labor, the medal "For
Valiant Labor in the Great Patriotic War of 1941-945.". Geographic
studies of Grigoriev were marked by the
IRGO Small Silver Medal (1905), the
Medal N.M. Przhevalsky (1928),
Gold Medal of the All-Union Geographical Society (1965).
He died in Moscow, buried in the Novodevichy
The river flows
into the Sims Bay on the northeast coast of Taimyr. Named
in 1951 by the North-Taimyr Expedition.