Vasilyev Viktor Konstantinovich 

Soviet Arctic hydrograph surveyor, honorary polar explorer. 
Born in Bryansk into a military family, a general, a hero of the Turkish and Japanese wars. From 1899 to 1906 He studied at the boarding school in the Khabarovsk Cadet Corps. In the summer of 1905, he traveled to his father in the army in Manchuria and served for three months as a volunteer in the horse-hunting team of the 124th Voronezh Infantry Regiment. 
In 1906, Vasilyev transferred to the Poltava Cadet Corps, which he graduated in 1907, due to the relocation of the family to Kharkov. In the same year he entered the Konstantinovsky Artillery School, from which he was released in 1910 as a lieutenant in the 6th Siberian Infantry Brigade, stationed in Khabarovsk. 
Vasilyev met the First World War as a lieutenant, head of the advanced artillery reconnaissance in Nikolsk-Ussuriisk, but already in September 1914 he was at the front. In November, he was wounded during the heavy arrier fights, captured and until December 1918 he was in German camps, until the exchange was taken by sanitary train to Kiev. Having recovered from typhus, in 1919 Vasiliev joined the Red Army, served in it for ten years in commanding positions, participated in the suppression of the Kronstadt insurrection, and the liberation of Karelia from the White Finns. He was demobilized due to illness in 1929 from the post of commander of the battery. 
Vasiliev’s civil service began in the expeditionary sector of the Hydrological Institute, as part of which he conducted surveys in the Crimea, in the Far East, on the Finnish border. Then followed the topographical sector of the Hydroenergoproekt, contractual work with the Yakutsk City Council at the City Survey Bureau, and from 1939, the transition to the  GUSMP system at the Anabarskiy hydro department of the Yakutsk hydro department. 
In 1941–1943 Vasiliev headed the expedition party of the expedition on the hydrographic vessel "Nord", then he was head of the production department and deputy head of the Dikson hydro-base, head of the party of the Expedition-and-Production Expedition on Novaya Zemlya, head of the geodetic party of the Ob and Providence hydro bases.In short, fully sipped arctic romance. 
The misfortune, reflected in the fate of Vasilyev, occurred in 1947. A group of employees at the Dikson Hydro Base, headed by Vasilyev, Head of the Production Department, was waiting on the island of Sibiryakovo for the arrival of the hydrographic vessel “Lotsmeystersky”, which was supposed to deliver them to Dikson. The head of the pilots squad I.S. Lovtsov and two employees decided to independently get to Dixon on their open motor boat, equipped with a sail and an L-6 engine. Vasiliev did not give consent to this dangerous flight through the Yenisei Bay, but he did not insist on the ban. The boat went to sea in good weather, but did not come to Dickson. It was found with the bodies of people only a few months away from the coast of the island of Tyrtov. Vasiliev was found responsible for this tragedy and removed from office. 
In the future, he continued to work in various positions at
the Main Directorate of the Northern Sea Route until his retirement in 1958. Vasilyev's reverent attitude to the fulfillment of the work entrusted to him perfectly illustrates the situation in which he fell in 1952 on the islands of Sergei Kirov in the Kara Sea. When returning after finishing work, when only a daily transition remained before the base, the beams burned, in which were all the materials of the survey. A middle-aged, 63-year-old Vasiliev, extremely tired, weakened by a heavy field season, found the strength to come back and re-do the work, and he did it with high quality and in the shortest possible time in the approaching polar winter. 
He was awarded the medal "For Valiant Labor in the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945.". 
Cape on the island Dlinniy in the skins of Minin. 
The name on the proposal of the Hydrographic Enterprise Ministry of the Navy was approved by the decision of the Dikson regional executive committee of March 20, 1972.


Return to the main page