Vitkovsky Vasily Vasilyevich
surveyor, lieutenant-general, professor of the geodesic department
of the Academy of the General Staff.
Born in the fortress Novogeorgievsk near Warsaw in the family of
a military engineer, Major General V.I. Vitkovsky. In
1860, the family moved to St. Petersburg to the place of the new
appointment of the father.
In 1872, after graduating from the gymnasium, Vitkovsky, as a
family tradition, entered the Military Engineering School as a
cadet, three years later he graduated from it and, with the rank of
second lieutenant of engineering troops, was assigned to the sapper
battalion in Mount Calvary.This was followed by service in the
military field telegraph park in St. Petersburg, a business trip to
the Yaroslavl province, the direction to the Danube active army with
a marching team during the Russian-Turkish war of 1878–1879.
After the war, the young talented officer was able to continue
their studies. He
was identified as a volunteer at the Physics and Mathematics Faculty
of St. Petersburg University, and in 1880 entered the geodesic
department of the Academy of the General Staff and began studying
with Academician A.N. Savich. Even
before graduating from the academy, he published his first
scientific works, among which he stood two editions of Military
After completing the theoretical course of the geodesic
department of the Academy of the General Staff, Vitkovsky was
practiced at the Main Astronomical Observatory in Pulkovo and
traveled to Sweden.
In 1885, he completed the full course of the geodesic department
of the Academy of the General Staff with a large silver medal and a
name on the marble board of the Academy.
Vitkovsky's subsequent professional life was a combination of
practical geodetic work, research and teaching. He
worked as a surveyor at the Finnish survey, defended and published
his dissertation "The Pulkovo Horizontal Circle", took the first big
trip around Russia, particularly to the south, where he visited a
number of astronomical observatories, participated in observations
of a total solar eclipse near Rzhev with astronomers at Princeton
University (USA) , began to lecture on geodesy at the Military
Topographical School, read lectures and reports on astronomical and
geodesic topics for officers of the Finnish survey.
In 1885, Vitkovsky transferred to the General Staff with
production in the captains; by
1909 he was promoted to the rank of lieutenant general.
Vitkovsky’s high scientific prestige was evidenced by his
election as a member of a number of Russian and foreign scientific
was a full member of the Fennia Academic Society in Helsingfors, the
Russian Astronomical Society, the Russian Geographical and Russian
Physical and Chemical Societies, the Physics and Mathematics Society
in Kazan, and a member of the Astronomische Gesellschaft in Leipzig.
The pedagogical activity of Vitkovsky was very active. In
addition to teaching at the Military Topographic School, he was a
professor at the St. Petersburg Electrotechnical Institute, the
Academy of the General Staff, the Women's Pedagogical Institute, a
professor, and then the dean of the geodetic department of the
Military Engineering Academy. He
wrote a number of textbooks on topography, higher and practical
In 1912, the Academic Council of the Kazan University awarded him
the degree of Doctor of Astronomy and Geodesy. The
VV Prize was established at the Military Topographical School. Vitkovskogo
best Junker for success in the sciences of completing additional,
Already under Soviet power in 1923, Vitkovsky
received from the Revolutionary Military Council of the RSFSR a
commendation order and an honorary certificate for fruitful
scientific and pedagogical activity for over 50 years.
The merits of Vitkovsky were awarded the orders of St. Anna,
1st , 2nd and 3rd degrees; St.
Stanislav 1st , 2nd and 3rd degrees; St.
the 3rd degree and the
Great Gold Medal. F.P.
Vitkovsky memorial plaque
View of Vitkovsky street
On September 4, 2006, a street was named after Vitkovsky in the
Vyborgsky district of St. Petersburg, passing between Toreza Avenue
and Jacques Duclos Street.
He died after a serious illness in Leningrad and was buried in
Orthodox cemetery . Concrete
sink with marble slab.
the south of the island of West Svalbard. Named
in 1899–1901. expedition