Wojciechowski George Anastasievich 

Astronomer-surveyor, Arctic explorer, honorary polar explorer. 
Born in Proskurov in Ukraine, in a military family, a regiment commander who received the nobility for military merit, also marked by the Golden Weapon. In the defense of Port Arthur, he was in the rank of captain commanded an artillery position at a height that dominated the harbor, port and city. The war ended for him with a severe wound, temporary blindness, Japanese captivity. 
After the revolution, the family moved to Moscow. Here, Wojciechowski began his studies at a forestry institute, but then went to his sister in Kharkov and entered the geodesic institute just organized there, where O.Yu. Schmidt taught mathematics and astronomy.  Being a very versatile man and very active, Wojciechowski organized a jazz band, worked in the editorial office of a local newspaper, had a lot of friends and acquaintances. Officers of
Commissariat of Internal Affairs tried to use his interpersonal skills, suggesting cooperation that he did not want. Apparently away from sin, he threw the institute after the fourth year and went to the Donbass, where he worked first in forestry as a surveyor and then in a mine surveyor. 
It was here in 1930 that Wojciechowski learned about the organization of an Arctic expedition on the icebreaker "G. Sedov ”, whose tasks included the replacement of wintering men in Tihaya Bay on Hooker Island at the Franz Josef Land archipelago, a survey of the northeastern part of the Kara Sea and the landing of the G.A. Ushakov on Northern Earth. He immediately came to Leningrad and came to the Arctic Institute. As a test of his professional qualities, expedition leaders Schmidt and V.Yu. Vize was asked to evaluate the new German universal theodolite. He quickly figured out the unfamiliar instrument, recognized its high quality, but noted that the real accuracy of measurements on it would most likely be two seconds, instead of the advertised one. He was taken to work. 
It was necessary to leave immediately, and Wojciechowski opened a stomach ulcer, which required an urgent operation. There is no doubt about how to proceed. Hiding his illness from the management and the medical board, he collected the necessary medication for the flight and, in fact, went to the flight at the risk of his life. Just returning, Wojciechowski went to the hospital, where he underwent a severe operation, during which he almost died. The disease was very neglected. 
The expedition on the “Sedov” determined the whole subsequent life of Wojciechowski. In 1932, he and his wife in the party headed by E.N. Freiberg went to Tiksi for the winter, where the organization of the polar station and the laying of the seaport were planned. 
Here began the friendship between the Freibergs and the Wojciechowski, which continues even now with their children, although they are scattered around different cities.


G.A. Wojciechowski for processing observations. Tiksi 1932-1933 
(from the archive of G.A. Voitsekhovsky)


After wintering in Tiksi, Wojciechowski worked on the Lower Lena expedition, in Taimyr, Chukotka, Severnaya Zemlya. In a certificate issued on May 24, 1950 to Wojciechowski’s wife and signed by B.V.Tkachenko, you can read: "... For the eleven-year period of continuous work in the Arctic Research Institute and the Research Institute of Geology of the Arctic, Wojciechowski G.A. participated in six long geological expeditions to the Arctic. In between the expeditions, comrade Wojciechowski carried out the scientific processing of his field materials, he is the author of several published maps showing previously unexplored areas of the Arctic and being the only ones at the moment ... ”. 
The polar explorers of the Wojciechowski generation were so captivated by the Arctic that they could not do without elements of their field life during the inter-expeditionary periods. In the pre-war years, the Wojciechowski family had a huge husky named Seaman, which the owner used to put on small sledges and in the mornings on the ice of the Neva took his wife to the university, and then went to the Arctic Institute through the streets. 
In the last pre-war New Year, traditionally, relatives and friends gathered around the huge oak table at the Wojciechowski’s house. Among them were Nikolai Mutafi, Vladimir Kridener, George Afanasyev and others. The conversation was mainly about the oncoming war, all were filled with bad forebodings. Few of the men present survived the war. 
June 22, 1941 Wojciechowski was caught on the way to the next Arctic expedition. Polarniks was returned home, but Wojciechowski was not taken into the army because of a stomach ulcer, and he went to work as a surveyor at the headquarters of the Leningrad Front. In December 1941, he was taken to hospital. For the removal of Wojciechowski, the famous polar pilot I.P. Mazuruk, but late. Wojciechowski died at the First Marine Hospital. It is known that he was buried at the Serafimov cemetery. 
Glacier in the northwest of the island Bolshevik of the archipelago Severnaya Zemlya and the river flowing from it. Named no later than 1953 by Soviet geologists.


Return to the main page