Wolf Georgiy Viktorovich
Born in Chernigov, received his education in the Warsaw Gymnasium
and the University of Warsaw in the natural department of the
Faculty of Physics and Mathematics.
The vocation for scientific work manifested itself in Wulf as a
studied crystallography and physics with professors A.E. Lagorio
and N.G.Egorova, performed work on the electrical properties of
quartz, for which he was awarded a gold medal.
After graduation, Wulf was left as a fellow candidate at the
Department of Mineralogy, but did not leave physics classes. He
was convinced that crystallography should be considered part of
physics, not mineralogy.
After 1889, Wulf worked for some time in Germany and France under
the guidance of famous scientists P. Groth and A. Cornu, where he
collected materials for a master's thesis. Having
defended it at the University of Warsaw, he worked there as a
private assistant professor, then in 1897–1898.he is a professor at
Kazan University, 1899–1906 - a professor at the University of
Warsaw, 1906–1907 — emigration in Geneva, then Moscow University,
which he left in 1911 to protest the reactionary policies of the
Ministry of Education.
After the revolution, Wulf headed the department of mineralogy
and crystallography at the Moscow Higher Women's Courses, since 1918
he is a professor at Moscow University. In
1921 he was elected a corresponding member of the USSR Academy of
Wulf left an outstanding mark in various directions of
developed a simple graphical method for processing the results of
measurements of crystals using a special stereographic grid, named
after him, simultaneously with the English scientist William L. Bragg
derived the formula underlying the X-ray structural analysis, put
the first X-ray structural studies in Russia. During
the First World War, Wulf and his staff developed a new method of
making X-ray screens, which has found application in medicine.
He died in Moscow. Buried
Wolf), extending from the east to the island of Pilot Makhotkin in
the Nordensheld archipelago. Named
RPE in 1901.