Ermolov Alexey Sergeevich
and public figure, agronomist scientist, since 1899, honorary member
of the St. Petersburg Academy of Sciences.
Born in Tiflis. Descended
from an old noble family, rising to the beginning of the XVI
Upon graduation in 1866, with a gold medal from the course of the
Imperial Alexander Lyceum, he entered the St. Petersburg
Agricultural (later Forestry) Institute, from which, three years
later, he graduated with a degree in agriculture. At
the institute Yermolov conducted scientific work under the guidance
of the famous professor A.P. Engelhardt,
being engaged mainly in phosphorites.
After graduating from the institute, Yermolov entered the service
of the Ministry of State Property, but soon moved to the Ministry of
Finance and was successively an auditor, head of department, vice
director and from 1883 director of the department.
From January 1894 to May 1905, Yermolov held the position of
Minister of Agriculture and State Property. The
activities of the ministry during this period were aimed at caring
for rural education, at developing handicraft industry; measures
were developed to reduce railway tariffs on agricultural
transportation, improve the agricultural credit system, grant loans
for amelioration and irrigation, assist in the establishment of
pilot stations and t .dYermolov took part in the work of various
commissions on agricultural and economic issues. In
the spring of 1907, he personally traveled all the poor harvest
areas and compiled a report for submission to the Central Committee
for the provision of medical and food aid to the affected provinces,
and was commended by the Monarch gratitude.
Occupying high positions, Yermolov did not stop his scientific
activities, which created for him the name of an outstanding Russian
Since 1879, he combined work in the Ministry of
Finance with his duties as a senior editor of the statistical
department in the department of agriculture and rural industry, took
an active part in the work of the Free-Economic Society, being
during 1886–1888 his
As a farmer in the 1870s, Yermolov was a public honorary justice
of the peace of the Bobrovsky zemstvo of the Voronezh province and
was engaged in practical agricultural activities.
Perm Yermolov owned numerous scientific works on agronomy,
agricultural chemistry, field cultivation, the agrarian question and
others, for which he was repeatedly honored with honorary awards.
In 1901, the French Academy of Sciences elected Yermolov as its
correspondent for the department of rural economy, previously the
Russian Academy of Sciences elected him an honorary member.
In 1902-1905 he
is a member of the Special Meeting on the needs of the agricultural
industry, since 1905 - a member of the State Council (leader of the
center group), a supporter of the Stolypin agrarian reform. Since
1912, Yermolov was the chairman of the All-Russian Chamber of
his estate Ryazhskogo County Ryazan province, he gave an
experimental agricultural field.
The multifaceted activities of Yermolov extended to the
performance of public duties. In
1907, he was appointed trustee of the Imperial Alexander Lyceum, a
graduate of which he was, and at the same time was elected chairman
of the Pushkin Lyceum Society, in charge of which was open to the
Lyceum Pushkin Museum. In
1905, he was elected chairman of the Board of Trusteeship of the
Empress Maria Alexandrovna about the blind.
The merits of Yermolov were awarded the orders of St.
Stanislav 1 degree (1884), St.
Anna 1 degree (1890), White
Eagle (1900), St.
Alexander Nevsky (1904), St.
Vladimir 1 degree (1912).
He died in Petrograd, buried in his estate. In
one of the obituaries dedicated to Yermolov, there are such words:
“As a person, the deceased was distinguished by extraordinary
friendliness, accessibility and ease of handling. Remarkably
sympathetic, he was attractive and always interesting. With
his talent and intelligence, he quickly gained sympathy".
The island is among
the islands of Litke in the Nordensheld archipelago in the Kara Sea. Named
in 1901 by E.V. Toll,
who served under his command before leaving for the expedition.
Chekina Bay on the northern island of New Earth. He
named in 1901–1902 A.A. Borisov.