Isachenko Boris Lavrentievich
outstanding Soviet microbiologist, academician, Honored Scientist of
the RSFSR, Arctic explorer.
Born in St. Petersburg, in 1891 he graduated from St. Petersburg
University in the department of microbiology. At
first, Isachenko was forced to work as a botanist in charge of the
seed testing station of the St. Petersburg Botanical Garden, which
he became director in 1917. He
devoted microbiology to off-duty time. Closely
to this area of science, which constituted the main circle of his
scientific interests, Isachenko began working in 1906 and it was in
the Arctic as part of the Murmansk Scientific-Industrial Expedition
headed by L.L. Breithfuss. He
conducted considerable microbiological research in terms of volume
and results of the coastal areas of the Kola Peninsula and on Fr. Kildin,
as well as aboard the ship of the expedition “Andrey Pervozvanny” in
the Barents Sea. For
sea sampling, he designed a special microbiological bathometer. In
1914, Isachenko published a monograph “Investigations of bacteria of
the Arctic Ocean”, which laid the foundation for a new branch of
hydrology — marine microbiology. For
this work, the Russian Academy of Sciences awarded him the
K. Baer Prize.
After a long break, work in the Arctic Isachenko returned in the
late 1920s - early 1930s, when he personally conducted new
microbiological studies in the Arctic seas. Isachenko’s
great merit as a polar explorer was reflected in his appointment as
head of a group of Soviet scientists in the Arctic exploration
society using aircrafts - Aeroarctic, founded by F.
Nansen in 1924.
Employees of the Murmansk industrial expedition. 1906
Sit: second left LL Breitfuss,
first right B.L. Isachenko
In the last years of his life, Isachenko headed the Institute of
Microbiology of the USSR Academy of Sciences.
Awarded the Order
of Lenin, the Order
of the Red Banner of Labor and
He died in Moscow. He
was buried at Vvedensky
An island in
the Kara Sea in the Sergey Kirov archipelago. Opened
and named in 1930 as an expedition on the icebreaker "G. Sedov.
the east of the Schmidt Peninsula on the west coast of the northern
island of Novaya Zemlya. Named
in 1930 by an expedition on the icebreaker "G. Sedov".
In the name of ichthyologist V.L. Isachenko,
brother B.L. Isachenko,
named Cape on
the east coast of the Yenisei Bay.