Kalitkin Ivan Mikhailovich
topographer, hydrograph, honorary
Born in the village of Pervitino, Kuznetsovsky District, Moscow
Province, in a peasant family. In
1928 he received a secondary education in Vyshny Volochyok, worked
as a bookkeeper, studied building construction.
In 1929, Kalitkin entered the Leningrad Topographic Technical
School, and was trained in Kazakhstan and the Urals. After
receiving a specialty technician-topographer, he began working in
the Northern Geodesic Trust in Arkhangelsk as part of an expedition
that made a topographic and geodetic survey at Pechora.
In 1933, he was recalled to the Northern Hydrographic Expedition
of the State Naval Unit for participation in the hydrographic survey
of the Kola Bay, and in 1934 he began his service in the State
Institute of Civil Aviation, which lasted until retirement.
In the pre-war years in the record of Kalitkin, he participated
in numerous Arctic expeditions, starting with a survey of the
western part of the Kara Sea under the direction of SS. Ruzova
and V.I. Vorobyov. For
two seasons, they carried out measurements from boats and rented
he led the hydrographic party in the Matochkin Strait, in 1939 led
the expedition on the icebreaker steamer Sadko.
Kalitkin was among those first hydrographers who, starting from
1936, began to conduct surveying using radio distance meters
introduced into the hydrographic survey of the Arctic seas by A.P. Yushchenko.
He also spent the war years in the Arctic: he led the Khatanga
Pilot Station, headed the hydroorder at Nerpa.
During the years 1947-1950. Kalitkin
worked as head of the Arkhangelsk hydro base, and then was seconded
to study at the Academy of the Navy. In
the post-academic period, he served as head of the navigation
fencing department, and since 1955, after the reorganization of the
State Administration, he became the Deputy Chief of the State
Enterprise GUSMP. He
retired in 1971.
Kalitkin’s contribution to Arctic hydrographic research was
awarded the Order of the Badge
of Honor, the Medal For
Labor Valor, and departmental awards.
He died in Leningrad. He
was buried in the cemetery
of the village of Krasnaya Gorka in the Leningrad Region.
An island in
Basova Bay off the east coast of the northern island of Novaya
name was given in 1936 by S.D. Lappo.