Kankrin Yegor Frantsevich (Georg Ludwig Daniel)
Russian statesman, a prominent economist, is German by birth.
Born in the city of Hanau in the Landgraf Hesse-Kassel (Germany). His
father, F.-L. Kankrin
(1738–1816), an expert in the field of construction and mining, went
to Russia in 1783, where he became manager of the salt plants in
Education Kankrin received at the University of Hesse and
finding work in Germany, in 1798 he moved to Russia to his father
and entered the service.
Kankrin's publications on military art, in which he put forward
the idea of using Russia's geographical advantages during the
military campaigns (the vastness of the territory, the severity of
the climate), as well as his ideas on the food supply of the armies
attracted the attention of close to Alexander I generals Ludwig
Wolzogen and Karl Pfoul and Minister of War M. B Barclay
de Tolly. According
to their recommendations, in 1811 he received the post of Assistant
General-Providence Master and the rank of State Councilor. Later,
already as the quartermaster general of the acting army, Kankrin
showed extraordinary energy and thrift in providing food for the
Russian troops during the hostilities of 1812–1815. He
managed to organize an effective food supply system for the troops,
made careful calculations with the allies and with the defeated
France, proving that many financial claims against Russia were
In 1818, Kankrin put forward a project on the abolition of
serfdom and the gradual redemption of the peasants from the land at
the expense of a special loan bank. In
1820, he resigned from the post of quartermaster general and was
appointed a member of the Military Council. Actively
engaged in scientific work, Kankrin published two monographs: “On
the military economy during war and peace” and “World wealth,
national wealth and the state economy”, in which he criticized the
policies of Finance Minister D.A.Guriev. In
1821 he accompanied Alexander I to the congress in Ljubljana and was
introduced to the Council of State.
In 1823, at the age of 49, Kankrin became Minister of Finance,
adopting the financial system upset by wars. Thanks
to the energy and extraordinary performance, he managed to implement
a number of measures and achieve balance in the state budget.
The name of Kankrin is also connected with the implementation of
the monetary reform of 1839–1843, as a result of which a silver
monometallism system was established in Russia. In
Russia, a 10-year period of relatively stable monetary circulation
Thanks to an effective tax policy, Kankrin significantly
strengthened the protection of Russian industry, saw high customs
duties as a means of taxing “non-existent classes”, and also
contributed to the improvement of government industries and the
development of gold mining.
Special concern Kankrin showed the spread of technical knowledge. Under
him, the Technological Institute was founded, where people from the
non-noble class were accepted, new agricultural schools were opened,
the Forest Institute and mountain educational institutions were
own theoretical views, the program and the results of his activities
are presented by him in three books in German, he was also the
author of "A Short Review of Russian Finance", compiled by him for
the heir-crown prince.
For more than 20 years, Kankrin stood at the head of the Ministry
of Finance. In
1844, he retired due to illness, devoting himself to work on the
completion of his main work, Economics of Human Society and
Financial Science of a Former Minister of Finance. However,
he failed to carry out his plans.
He died in Pavlovsk near Petersburg. The
results of his activities allowed Nikolay Bunge, the future Minister
of Finance of Russia, 20 years after Kankrin's death to write about
him: “The name of Count Kankrin is hitherto highly respected; the
time of his management is considered the golden age of Russian
The merits of Kankrin are marked by the orders of St.
Andrew the Pervozvanniy and St.
Anna of 1 degree.
Buried in St. Petersburg at Smolensk
Lutheran Cemetery. Granite
Cape and the Bay to
the north of the Matochkin Shar Strait on the Kara coast of Novaya
opened and named in 1835 A.K. Tsivolka.