Karpinsky Alexander Petrovich 
(26.12.1846(07.01.1847–15.07.1936)


An outstanding Russian geologist, academician. 
Born in the village Turyinsky Rudniki, now the town of Krasnoturinsk, Yekaterinburg region in the family of a mining engineer. 
In 1866, Karpinsky graduated from the St. Petersburg Mining Institute, during 1877–1896. worked there as a professor. 
The contribution of Karpinsky to the organization in 1882 of the Geological Committee, in which he was first senior geologist, from 1885 to 1903 director, and then until 1929, honorary director, was great. Under him and under his direct leadership, large-scale work was carried out on the geological mapping of Russia, when a small group of such eminent geologists as F.N. Chernyshev, S.N. Nikitin, I.V. Mushketov and other for 10–15 years led Russia to a number of advanced countries in the organization of the geological service. 
In 1889, Karpinsky was elected an academician of the St. Petersburg Academy of Sciences, since 1916 he served as vice-president of the Academy of Sciences, and since May 15, 1917 he became its first elected president. 
The circle of Karpinsky's scientific interests was extremely wide. He wrote works on tectonics, paleogeography and paleontology, he compiled summary geological maps of the Urals and the European part of Russia, he revealed the main features of the tectonic structure of the Russian platform, indicating for the first time that it had an ancient crystalline basement. 
Karpinsky laid the foundations of the system of graphic symbols in geology, coloring systems of the Mesozoic (Triassic - purple, Jurassic - blue, chalk - green) and Cenozoic (yellow tones) was approved by the session of the International Geological Kongress of 1881 in Bologna by A.P. Karpinsky. 
He was the first to give a scientific explanation to the phenomena of transgression and regression, widely used paleogeographic structures in tectonic analysis, thereby laying the foundations of paleogeography as an independent science.

 

Memorial plaque. Petersburg,embankment Leitenta Schmidt, d . 1/2

Bust near the building of VSEGEI. Petersburg, BO 19 line

Memorial plaque. Petersburg, Mining Academy


One of the first in Russia, Karpinsky used a microscope to study rocks. He developed the principles of classification and nomenclature of rocks, pointing out that in the classification of igneous rocks, their mineralogical composition should play a primary role. 
Karpinsky's studies were closely related to practical geology, his geological and paleogeographic maps provided the basis for broad practical forecasts for mineral exploration. 
For the totality of works Karpinsky in 1892 was awarded the Konstantinovsky Medal of the Imperial Russian Geographical Society, and in 1921 the Cuvier Prize of the Academy of Sciences of France. He was a permanent representative of Russian geological science at international geological congresses, participated in the compilation of a geological map of Europe and in the unification of graphic images in geology. During 1899-1936 Karpinsky was the president of the Mineralogical Society. He was an honorary member of many foreign Academy of Sciences. In 1946, the Academy of Sciences of the USSR established a prize and a gold medal named after A.P. Karpinsky, who are awarded for outstanding work in the field of geology. 
He died in Moscow, an urn with ashes buried in the Kremlin wall. 
Cape in the northwest of the island of McClintock in the archipelago of Franz Josef Land. Named in 1955, Soviet cartographers. 
Bay east of Reineke Bay on the southern coast of the southern island of New Earth. Named in 1924 R. L. Samoilovich. 
Bay in the Taimyr Gulf. Named in 1901 E.V. Toll. 
The mountain and the river flowing down from it south of the Sims Bay on Taimyr. The mountain is named in 1947 by M.G. Ravich, the river was named after a mountain in 1951.

Mountain on the west coast of the Hinlopen Strait, Land of Olaf V , West Svalbard Island. The coordinates are 79° 00'N   19° 30'E. 
Glacier in the east of the island of the October Revolution of the archipelago Severnaya Zemlya. Named by polar geologists in the 1950s.

 

Return to the main page