Kellett Henry 
(02.11.1806–01.03.1875 )


English Arctic navigator, admiral. 
Born in Tipperary, Ireland. Entered the fleet in 1822. For years, Kellett carried out naval service on various seas and oceans. He patrolled the coast of India, transported colonial troops, served on the coast of Africa, participated in numerous hostilities. 
Since 1848, England began organizing expeditions to search for the missing expedition of J. Franklin. They received the name "Franklin" and lasted for decades, playing a prominent role in the opening of the Northwest Passage and a thorough survey of the Canadian Arctic Archipelago. 
When organizing the first search, the complexity of the situation was that no one really knew where to look. Franklin had instructions from the Admiralty, prescribing him as the preferred route through the Lancaster Strait and further west or north, but leaving him, nevertheless, a fairly wide freedom of action. The opinions of experts about the area of the search differed sharply from each other, therefore it was decided to send three detachments at once: the marine James Ross from the east to the Pr. Lancaster, sea captain G. Kellett and Commodore Moore from the Bering Strait and land J. Richardson. 
The ships Kellett, the Herald and Mura, the Plover, left England separately and were to meet in the Chukchi Sea. Arriving in Kotzebue Bay and not finding there Moore, who, as it turned out later, was wintering in the mouth of Anadyr, Kellett returned to the south. 
The meeting took place only in the next 1849. From the “Plover” team, a boat expedition of 25 people was organized under the command of Lieutenant Pellen, who with enormous difficulties reached the Mackenzie estuary, which was designated by the Admiralty as a meeting place for all three expeditions, in 32 days. Ships, sending Pellen, went along the coast of Alaska to the northeast, reached Cape Wenreith (west of Cape Barrow ), from where the Herald moved north. At the point 72° 51'N and 163° 48'W at the edge of the pack ice, we measured the water temperature at different depths. It was the first deep-water hydrological station in the Chukchi Sea. 
In mid-August, the ships parted, and Kellett on the "Herald" went to the north-west. August 17th was a historic discovery. Under surprisingly clear weather, the sailors saw a small island, beyond which was visible a large land. By eye estimation, the distance to the small island was 25 miles, and to the mainland - 60 miles. We managed to approach and even land on the nearest island, named Kellett in honor of its ship. The naturalist of the expedition B. Zeman held a botanical collection there. The distant island was surrounded by heavy ice, which did not allow it to approach. Kellett named it in honor of Moore's ship "Earth Plover". Land was called the land, the size of which and the nature of the connection with the mainland were not known. Kellett believed that this is the southern tip of a large continent. Only 18 years later, the American whaler, T. Long, established that this is an island located practically in the place where F.P. Wrangell  had indicated his position.  . 
In honor of him, the noble Long called the island the name of Wrangel.

 

Herald Island

(photo by EA Gusev)


From the island of Herald, Kellett went to Kotzebue Bay, where the Plover stood for the winter, and then went south into the Bering Sea. The following year, Kellett again came to the Chukchi Sea, but he could not move further than Kotzebue Bay. 
In 1852, the Admiralty decided to explore the area of ​​the possible northern route of Franklin and organized an expedition of five ships under the general command of E. Belcher, which was to explore the Wellington Strait area. Kellett became Belcher's assistant and was given command of the Resolute and Intrepid ships. He was instructed to proceed to Melville Island and linger there for a year to search for Franklin, as well as the ships of R. Collinson and R. McClure “Enterprise” and “Researcher”, which in 1850 set off in search of Franklin through the Bering Strait. 
Kellett already in early September 1852, safely reached the island of Melville. Because of the wide fast ice, he was unable to reach the shore and got up for the winter in the cove of one of the small islands seven or eight miles from Melville Island. Immediately, he organized a toboggan party to lay out food depots for subsequent exploratory campaigns. The work of the sleighs was crowned with interesting and important finds. Lieutenant Swords at the wintering place W. Parry in 1819 - 1820 found the document left here by F. McClintock a year earlier. But most importantly, next to this document, to his great joy, he found a note of the wanted Mac-Clour left in the spring of that year. In a note, McClure reported on the progress of his expedition and of course on the opening of the Northwest Passage. Upon learning that McClure and his team were experiencing the third wintering, Kellett was ready to immediately send a rescue team to him, but, unfortunately, this was impossible because of the coming dark time. But as soon as the bright days began, a detachment of ten people headed by Lieutenant B. Pym headed for the McClure. On April 6, they reached the Bay of Mercy, where the Explorer spent the winter. It turned out that in nine days a significant part of the crew would leave part east of the northeastern tip of Somerset, where there was a food store, and partly towards the mouth of the Mackenzie River. People were weakened by three winters and probably would have gone to meet inevitable death. 
The very next day, nine people, led by McClure, went to Kellett’s wintering place and reached it in twelve days. The joy of the meeting was indescribable and darkened only by the fact that neither of the expeditions found any trace of Franklin. 
Heavy ice conditions did not allow Kellett in 1853 to return to the base of the expedition Belcher, organized on the island of Beachy. The following year, Belcher, whose ships also could not return to Fr. Beachy, stuck in the ice of the Str. Wellington decided to leave them, as well as the Kellett and McClure ships, to walk to Beachy Island and then return to England on the fifth vessel, the Northern Star, which remained as the base near Beachy Island. Kellett objected to the abandonment of serviceable ships, but was obliged to obey the order. 
The outcome of the Belcher expedition caused widespread discontent in England. The Admiralty considered it necessary to conduct a trial, and all three captains of abandoned ships, Belcher, Kellett and McClure, were accused. Kellett and McClure referred to the order of their superior and were justified without any problems. The chairman, returning his sword to Kellett, said that he "feels great pleasure in returning his sword to the owner, who bore it with such honor and good for his country."Belcher was also acquitted. 
Later Kellett during the years 1855-1859. commanded the connection of ships in Jamaica, in 1864-1868. He ran a shipyard in Malta, in 1869–1871. was commander in chief in China.

Commander of the Order of the Bath. 
He died in Klonabody. 
Cape (Henry-Kellett) on the east coast of Prince of Wales Island. 
Cape on the west of the island Banks and the river. 
A small river in northern Canada that flows into Pelly Bay.

Strait in the Canadian Arctic archipelago west of Melville Island. Opened by a group of Lieutenant J. Mechama in 1853.

 

Return to the main page