Knipovich Nikolay Mikhailovich
and public figure, Honored Worker of Science and Technology of the
RSFSR, honorary member of the USSR Academy of Sciences.
Born in the town of Sveaborg in the family of a military doctor. In
1880, he graduated from the Alexander Real Gymnasium with a gold
medal, then the Physics and Mathematics Faculty of St. Petersburg
years later, Knipovich defended his master's thesis, in 1893 he was
elected assistant professor of St. Petersburg University, but later
for political unreliability, he was in the group of Blagoev,
excluded from the number of teachers. From
1894 to 1921 he worked at the Zoological Museum (Institute) of the
St. Petersburg Academy of Sciences, in 1911–1930. -
Professor of the Department of Zoology and General Biology of the
Women's (later I Leningrad) Medical Institute.
Knipovich - the head of the Russian school of ichthyologists, the
organizer of the scientific-fishing business and research of the
seas of the European part of the USSR; the
organizer and leader of a number of research expeditions: Murmansk
(1898–1901), for which for the first time in the world a special
vessel “Andrey Pervozvanny”, the Caspian (1886, 1904, 1912–1913,
1914–1915), the Baltic and others was built. He
is the author of fundamental works on hydrology and fishing in the
Arctic Ocean, the Caspian, Azov and Black Seas, and the geology of
the northern seas. In
Russian Geographical Society awarded Knipovich with
a medal of Count Litke, and in 1924 with the Konstantinovsky
Scientific work Knipovich combined with social and
He participated in international negotiations, was
an active member and organizer of many scientific commissions and
conferences, a founding member of several institutes for the study
of the seas.
He was buried in St. Petersburg at the Smolensk cemetery. In
1956, the tombstone was transferred to the Literator's
footbridge of the Volkovsky cemetery: a stele with a bas-relief
the shore of the Taimyr Gulf.
of the Bay of Schubert on the east coast of the southern island of
Novaya Zemlya. Named
in 1924 by the Novaya Zemlya expedition of R.L. Samoylovich.
Taimyr Gulf. Named
in 1901 by E.V. Toll.
In honor of the hydrographic vessel "N. Knipovich"
in 1953 was named cape on
the island of Victoria in the Barents Sea.