Korchazhinsky Ivan Ivanovich 
(1907 – after 1956)


Arctic hydrograph, honorary polar explorer. 
Born in the village of Ustvym, Yarensky district, Vologda province, in the family of a forest conductor. After graduating from three classes of schools in the village of Sheleksa, Onega District, Korchazhinsky entered the Arkhangelsk Trade and Naval School, which was transformed into a college of water transport, and then closed. 
Since 1925, Korchazhinsky continued his studies at the newly opened technical school of waterways in Arkhangelsk and graduated from it in 1929, receiving a diploma of navigator navigator. 
From the age of 13, Korchazhinsky began working on water transport. Before graduation, he was a cook, a pupil of the deck crew, while studying as a navigator student, a sailor, after receiving a diploma as navigator on ships and icebreakers of the Northern Merchant Marine. In 1932, Korchazhinsky was transferred to the reserve, was appointed the responsible officer for emergency incidents. Wanting to go to sea, he quit the Arkhangelsk commercial port and joined the hydrographic department as a manufacturer of hydrographic works at the Arkhangelsk hydrographic department of the Northern Sea Route, and then headed the pilot’s distance from the Arkhangelsk hydro base. He annually went out to the shores of Novaya Zemlya, having proved himself to be one of the best specialists in means of navigation fencing. 
During the war, Korchazhinsky performed the tasks of the military command, for which in 1945 he was awarded the Order of the Red Star . Among his other government awards are the medals "For the Defense of the Soviet Arctic", "For the victory over Germany in the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945.", "For labor difference". 
After 1948, Korchazhinsky could no longer go to sea for health reasons. 
He has progressed tuberculosis and deafness.In recent years, he worked as a master of precision mechanics at the Arkhangelsk hydro base. 
He quit in 1956. 
Cape on the island of Champ of Franz-Josef Land. 
The name was approved by the Arkhangelsk Regional Executive Committee in 1963 (Decision No. 651).

 

Return to the main page