Krasovsky Feodosiy Nikolaevich
outstanding Soviet astronomer-geodesist, corresponding member of the
USSR Academy of Sciences, honored worker of science and technology
of the RSFSR.
Born in Galicia, now Kostroma region. In
1900 he graduated from the Land Survey Institute in Moscow, in 1907
he began teaching there, from 1912 he became the head of the
the end of 1928, at the initiative of Krasovsky, the Central
Research Institute of Geodesy, Aerial Survey and Cartography was
established, in which it was held during 1928–1930. was
a director, and then until 1937 the deputy director for science.
In 1924–1930 Krasovsky
led astronomical, geodesic and cartographic work in the USSR. In
1928, he developed a program of astronomical and geodetic works,
which provided for the construction of an astronomic-geodesic
network on the territory of the USSR in order to substantiate
topographic surveys and solve scientific problems of geodesy related
to determining the shape and size of the Earth. By
the mid-1970s, the entire territory of the USSR was covered by this
network, and a large part of it created continuous networks of state
triangulation, which serves as the direct basis for topographic
surveys and engineering and geodetic works.
In 1940, Krasovsky and A.A. Izotov
determined from measurements the dimensions of the earth's
ellipsoid, which has become standard for geodetic works in the USSR
and other countries. Krasovsky
outlined ways to develop the scientific problems of geodesy and
gravimetry in close connection with the problems of geophysics and
Krasovsky’s merits were awarded with two Stalin
Prizes in 1943 and
1952 (posthumously), the Orders of Lenin and
Banner of Labor, and medals.
He died in Moscow. He
was buried at Vvedensky
(German) cemetery in
massive monument in the form of a truncated black granite pyramid is
installed on the grave. The
monument was built with funds raised by the Department of Higher
Geodesy MIIGAiK and geodesic organizations of the country. The
burial is protected by the state. His
children were previously buried in the same grave, and after
Theodosius Nikolayevich’s death, his wife, who had survived her
husband by almost 20 years, was buried next to the grave.
the south of the island of Brady archipelago Franz-Josef Land. Named
in the 1950s by Soviet cartographers.