Kropotkin Peter Alekseevich
scientist and revolutionary, theorist of anarchism.
Born in Moscow, came from the ancient family of Rurikovich.
After the First Moscow Gymnasium, Kropotkin graduated from the
Corps of Pages in 1862, was promoted to officer, served in Siberia
for several years, participated in expeditions in Eastern Siberia,
in Manchuria, and was intensively engaged in scientific work. With
his participation, Patom and Vitim Highlands, several ridges were
radical, Kropotkin after the uprising of the exiled Poles on the
Circum-Baikal Road, fearing that he would be sent to suppress the
rebels, resigned and returned to St. Petersburg, where he entered
the Physics and Mathematics Faculty of St. Petersburg University. In
1868, he became a member of the Imperial Russian Geographical
Combining serious scientific work with an active revolutionary
activity, Kropotkin joined the so-called Jurassic Federation of the
International, the leader of which was M. Bakunin.
In 1874, Kropotkin was arrested and imprisoned in the Peter and
Paul Fortress. In
1876 he managed to escape. He
left Russia and lived in emigration for more than 40 years, becoming
one of the organizers and theorists of the international anarchist
movement, spent three years in a French prison. In
the emigration, Kropotkin wrote his main historical and political
works: “Speeches of a Rebel”, “Bread and Freedom”, “Modern Science
and Anarchy”, “Notes of a Revolutionary”, “The Great French
Revolution 1789–1793”and others. Returning
to Russia in June 1917, Kropotkin in a number of public speeches
supported the revolution, met with Lenin.
Memorial plaque Kropotkin. Petersburg,
Kropotkina street, 5
No less famous was the scientific activity of Kropotkin. He
prepared several scientific papers, which subsequently brought him
worldwide recognition. The
IRGO awarded Kropotkin a gold
medal, and in 1870 chose the secretary of the Department of
He died in Dmitrov near Moscow, buried at the Novodevichy
the top of Vlasyev Bay on the eastern coast of the northern island
of Novaya Zemlya. Named
in 1913 by members of the expedition G.Ya. Sedov V.Yu. Vize
and M.A. Pavlov.
the southwest of the Bolshevik Island. Named
in the 1950s by arctic geologists.
Glacial dome on
the island of Alexandra Land archipelago Franz Josef Land. Named
in 1953 by arctic geologists.