Kurochkin Andrei Mikhailovich
Born in the Novgorod province in the family of an artillery
childhood, he had an amazing memory, a desire for knowledge,
abilities, especially drawing.
In 1779 the family moved to St. Petersburg, where the boy was
enlisted as gunner of the first article in the naval artillery. Considering
Kurochkin's interest in shipbuilding, his father identified him as a
second-grade student at the Main Admiralty.
In 1790 Kurochkin received the title of ship apprentice with the
rank of ensign. His
career began in the shipyards of St. Petersburg and Kronstadt. His
first fighting ship was the invincible bombing boat. He
built one ship after another, adopting the experience of his
teachers, such famous masters as Masalsky, Ivanov, Melikhov.
In 1803 Kurochkin, as a young, promising shipmaster, was sent to
he headed the construction of the 74-gun frigate Strong, begun under
his predecessor, which became his first battleship. During
its construction, Kurochkin used the latest achievements of domestic
and foreign shipbuilders. For
the successful construction of this ship, he was awarded a large
cash prize, and Alexander I granted him a diamond ring.
The “Strong” was followed by the “Powerful”, “Borey”, “Eagle”,
“Northern Star” and other ships. In
1806 the young craftsman was appointed chief inspector of the
Arkhangelsk port, in fact, placing on him responsibility for all
shipbuilding in the North of Russia.
New duties did not prevent to Kurochkin from sharply activating his
personal ship activities. In
1807 he laid at once six battleships. The
need for new ships was very large, as Russia in those years waged
continuous wars to strengthen and expand their maritime borders.
Kurochkin's ships were distinguished by their great strength,
excellent seaworthiness, ease of maintenance, beauty and grace,
powerful armament. According
to the drawings of Kurochkin, ships were laid in other shipyards,
the English shipbuilders were interested in the work of the
shipbuilding fashion makers. Ship
Kurochkin "Azov", distinguished himself under the command of M.P. Lazarev
in the Battle of Navarino, became the first ship awarded the St.
George stern flag - he became the ancestor of the Russian naval
Monument to Kurochkin in Arkhangelsk
Possessing an independent character, heightened sense of justice,
demanding of himself and others, Kurochkin did not get along well
with his superiors. In
1826, he filed a resignation, but did not dare to dismiss him, who
enjoyed enormous prestige. The
king announced to him "the highest favor for the good quality and
location of the ships and frigates built in the Arkhangelsk port". However,
the cavils of high-ranking officials of the Admiralty continued, age
and illness were making themselves felt, and in 1829 he filed a
second petition. Kurochkin
refused the proposed transfer to Petersburg and retired with the
rank of major general of shipboard engineers.
Historians disagree on the exact number of all ships built by
Kurochkin, but they are unanimous in assessing liners and frigates:
28 and 17, respectively. In
the asset Kurochkina and the famous brig "Novaya Zemlya", entered
the history of Arctic research. On
it F.P. Litke made
his trips to the
Kurochkin was well aware that the steamers were replacing the
sailing fleet. Already
in 1825 he built the 60-strong steamer "Light", which became the
first steam ship in the North. Later,
he laid the second ship “Hasty”.
Having no family, Kurochkin lived after his resignation with his
equally lonely sister in Solombala.
Buried in the cemetery
entrance Bay of Abrosimov on the Kara coast of the southern island
of Novaya Zemlya. Described
and named in 1833 by P.K. Pakhtusov.