Levinson-Lessing Franz Yul'evich 
(25.02(09.03)1861–25.10.1939)


Russian geologist and petrographer, academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences. 
Born in St. Petersburg in the family of a doctor. In 1883 he graduated from the Physics and Mathematics Faculty of St. Petersburg University and was left with him to prepare for the title of professor. In 1888  Levinson-Lessing defended his master's degree, and in 1898 his doctoral dissertation. 
Already in 1889  he began to lecture at St. Petersburg University and since then, for 50 years, he taught at various higher educational institutions, having educated several generations of petrographers and geologists. In 1892–1902 he is a professor, and then the dean of the Faculty of Physics and Mathematics of the Yuryevsk (now Tartu) University, in 1902–1930  Petersburg Polytechnic Institute, where he organized the first in Russia laboratory of experimental petrography, in 1902-1920  - Professor of Higher Women's Courses in St. Petersburg, and since 1921 - Head of the Department of Petrography at the Leningrad State University. 
As a scientist, Levinson-Lessing is widely known for research in the field of theoretical petrography, work on the main issues of petrogenesis, the first rational chemical classification of rocks, which he proposed in 1898. In his writings, Levinson-Lessing relied on physicochemical research methods, attracting them to solve such problems as magma differentiation, genesis and classification of ore deposits, and others. He was the first in 1888 to put forward the idea of petrographic formations. Levinson-Lessing paid much attention to the study of volcanism. Levinson-Lessing's specialty was petrography, but he also published works on crystallography, mineralogy, soil science, paleontology, and geology. 
His research concerned the Urals, the Caucasus, the Olonets, Nizhny Novgorod, Poltava provinces.

 

Memorial plaque. Petersburg, the embankment of Lieutenant Schmidt, d . 1/2


Levinson-Lessing led a large-scale organizational work, the purpose of which was to introduce the achievements of the geological sciences into practice. Over the years, he was the organizer and chairman of the department of stone building materials and the soil department of the Commission for the Study of Natural Productive Forces at the Academy of Sciences, the first director of the Soil Institute of the USSR Academy of Sciences, organizer and director of the Petrographic Institute of the USSR Academy of Sciences, organizer and first director of the volcanological station on Kamchatka, chairman of the Commission on complex study of the Caspian Sea, the chairman of the Azerbaijan and Armenian branches of the USSR Academy of Sciences, the chairman of the Yakut Commission of the USSR Academy of Sciences, took an active part in hydrogeological surveys on Svirstroe, led the Transcaucasian expedition of the USSR Academy of Sciences. 
He died in Leningrad, was buried in the Literatorsky footbridge of the Volkovsky cemetery, Granite stela. 
An island in the Bay of Palander in the Kara Sea off the coast of Taimyr. Named in 1933 by geologist G.V. Aller (reported by V.I. Koshkin). 
Mountain in the northern part of the island Bolshevik of the archipelago Severnaya Zemlya. It was named no later than 1953 by the expedition of the North-West Aerogeodesic Enterprise. 
Lake in the Upper Taimyr River Basin. Named in 1949 by V.D. 
Dibner.

 

Return to the main page