Malasai Vitaly Pavlovich 

Soviet Arctic hydrograph. 
He was born at the station Svatovo of the Kharkov province in the family of a railway engineer. The parents soon separated and parted, and the boy lived alternately with his mother, then with his father. 
In 1929  Malasai graduated from the Svatovka seven-year railway, and then in 1931 a factory factory at a locomotive repair plant at the Izyum station in the Kharkiv region, receiving a specialty as a mechanic to repair steam hammers and machine tools. He worked at the same factory, in 1932 he was sent to Irkutsk, and in 1933 he got a job as a machinist at his home station, Svatovo. Here he also did not linger - having retired typhus, he could not continue to work as a driver. For a short time, Malasai worked as a surveyor in Perm, where his elder brother lived, then entered Leningrad in a financial and economic institute, but disillusioned with his future profession, he left him and entered the Hydrographic Institute, which he graduated from before hydrograph. 
Malasai was distributed to the Anabar pilots' master, there, on the Anabar, he learned about the beginning of the war. He asked to go to the front, but did not get permission. There were only five people left in the once-crowded pilots' master. They, under the leadership of Malasay, not only uninterruptedly serviced the section of the Northern Sea Route entrusted to them, but also carried out mapping of the little-studied Anabar River. Even then, the first river crews from the Partizan Kotenko motor ship began to call one of the almost impassable stretches of the river the Malasaya threshold. 
His group not only examined the threshold and roll, but also ensured the safety of navigation through it. 
In March 1942  Malasai and a worker decided to help a hydrographic expedition that surveyed the coast of the Laptev Sea east of Anabar. They set off on foot to Cape Bous-Hai, but due to bad weather the movement was very slow. Malasai realized that the two could not reach them, the products dried up, and, giving all the products to the worker, ordered him to return to the base, while he himself remained to wait for help. The worker did just that, but the rescuers who went to Malasai made a fatal mistake.Near the ravine, in which Malasai was hiding, they saw traces of deer sledges, they decided that it was already taken out by local hunters. When figured out, it was too late.Malasai was dead, he died from fierce frosts and famine. 
They buried Malasai on the high bank of the Anabar, to whose survey he devoted his short life. 
Cape on the island of Nansen archipelago Franz-Josef Land. 
The name was approved by the Arkhangelsk Regional Executive Committee in 1963 (Decision No. 651).


Return to the main page