Malygin Stepan Gavrilovich
Captain Commander, scientist navigator, member of
the Great Northern Expedition.
Born into the family of a landowner nobleman of the Yaroslavl
the period 1711–1717 Malygin studied at the Moscow Navigation
School, and then at the Naval Academy, which he graduated first in
graduation in 1721 and was promoted to non-lieutenant. After
9 months, he received another lieutenant rank, which was an
unprecedented case for those times.
While sailing on various ships in the Baltic and Barents seas,
Malygin received excellent practical training, which, together with
excellent theoretical knowledge and natural abilities, made him a
brilliant connoisseur of the navigator's business. In
1731 he compiled the first navigation guide in the Russian fleet,
and taught at the Navigator Company, which trains naval navigators.
In 1736 the Admiralty Board appointed Malygina the head of the
most western Dvina-Ob squadron of the All-Union Expeditionary Unit
instead of those discharged for poor service and degraded by S.
Muravyev and M. Pavlov. This
detachment was faced with the task of shooting the Arctic coast
between the mouths of the Pechora and the Ob. Malygin
was instructed to organize a special ground unit for setting visible
signs on the coast of the Gulf of Ob, as well as to search for
convenient berthing places and wintering of ships. In
addition, it was necessary to staff the team of the strongest of the
two nomads (“Ob” and “Expedition”) with reliable people and in the
spring to leave the mouth of the Pechora River to the Yugorsky Shar
Strait, where two more bots built in Arkhangelsk were expected to
in command of all the ships, Malygin had to move with the shooting
to the east. In
case of non-fulfillment of the task for one summer, he was
instructed to stay for the winter. In
May, the Expedition was ready for the march, but an attempt to leave
the Pechora in
the sea was unsuccessful. At
the mouth, the vessel was squeezed by ice, which broke the steering
wheel and broke the stem. It
was possible to save all the people and most of the food, unloaded
on the shore. In
June, the second Koch “Ob” was repaired. It
was only in August that they managed to get out to sea and meet the
bots who had come from Arkhangelsk under the leadership of
early August, all three vessels reached the Yugorsky
Ball Strait. The
ice situation in the Kara Sea was difficult, and Malygin decided to
send the Ob river poorly adapted for ice navigation to Arkhangelsk
and continue shooting with bots. Overcoming
great difficulties, the bots under the command of Malygin and
Skuratov passed with shooting and measuring to the mouth of the
Kara, where they were forced to stay for the winter. The
ground detachment leading the coastal survey arrived here.
"Expedition" is trapped by ice in the mouth of the
Cargo and people managed to save. 1737 year.
With the onset of light days, the ground survey was continued,
and the voyage was resumed only in July. By
mid-September, the detachment reached its final goal - the
mouth of the Ob. Having
transferred the command to Skuratov, Malygin went on a report to
Petersburg, where the work of the detachment received the highest
rating from the Admiralty Board. Later F.P. Litke wrote
that Malygin had performed everything “that he had been entitled to”
and distinguished himself “with all the virtues with which we are
surprised at the first and most glorious sailors: determination and
In 1738 Malygin returned to the practical training of
commanded the courts in the Baltic, was the commander of the
navigator company, participated in hostilities against the Swedes in
the war of 1742–1743.
In the early 1750s after serving in the navy for 35 years, he
submitted a petition for transfer to the coastal service due to
deteriorating health. He
was the commander of Kronstadt, and then the port of Riga.
In 1762 Malygin was promoted to captain-commander and appointed
head of the Admiralty office in Kazan. Here
he, cut off from the maritime affairs, soon died.
the south-west of the White Island in the Kara Sea. Called
in 1894–1895 by hydrographic
expedition to study the mouths of the Yenisei and Ob rivers under
the guidance of A.I. Vilkitsky.
the island of White and the Yamal Peninsula. Named
in 1878 by N.A. Nordenskiöld.