Nikolaev Nikolay Mikhailovich 

Outstanding Soviet ice captain. 
Born in Petersburg, his father was a hereditary sailor Mikhail Vasilievich Nikolaev, also an outstanding ice captain. 
From early childhood  the boy heard the father’s stories about the sea, about the voyages of the "Yermak" icebreaker, about Admiral S.O. Makarov, there were frequent meetings with G.Ya. Sedov in the house of Uncle Nikolayev on the maternal line, long-time navigator D.D. Fedorov. It is not surprising that the marine field became the only possible for him. 
After graduating from the naval school, Nikolaev began serving in the flotilla of the Arctic Ocean on a messenger ship "Vaigach". The revolution of 1917 found him in France, from where he moved to England, to his father, who oversaw the construction of icebreakers. Father and son decided to return to Russia. 
At home in the years 1917-1920  Nikolayev sailed on hydrographic vessels in the White and Barents Seas. In 1921  he received a navigator diploma, and four years later - a sea captain. 
In 1926  Nikolaev participated in the most difficult leg of small-size vessels from Arkhangelsk to the Black Sea. He was a senior assistant on the lead ship "Snow". Upon his return, having worked for a short time in Leningrad, Nikolaev in 1929 transferred to the Far East and received command of the famous icebreaker "Red October", in which in 1924 under the command of B.V. Davydov Canadian colonists were removed from Wrangel Island. 
In November 1931 Nikolaev took command of an ice cutter “F. Litke”, which along with the icebreakers “Yermak” and “Krasin” was the main pillar of the Soviet ice navigation. In harsh winter conditions, the ships that were frozen in the port of Ayan on the western coast of the Sea of ​​Okhotsk were secured to Okhotsk and Nagaevo. 
In 1932 the ice-cutter under the command of Nikolaev provided the Special Northeast Expedition of the People's Commissariat of Waterways, the head of which was N.I. Eugenov. During the years 1932-1933 "F. Litke "spent 550 days sailing, providing wiring for ships, rescuing those in distress. Due to the most severe ice conditions, it was not possible to reach the drifting "Chelyuskin". 
In 1934 on the same ice-cutter, Nikolayev passed from east to west from Vladivostok to Murmansk by the Northern Sea in one navigation, and on the way to the Laptev Sea, he released the vessels of the First Lena Expedition, which had been wintering in the straits near the Komsomolskaya Pravda Islands near the northern coast of Taimyr Peninsula. The heroic flight ended with a solemn meeting in Leningrad. Participants were awarded orders and medals, Nikolaev was awarded the Order of Lenin. 
In 1935 Nikolayev commanded the Sadko icebreaking steamer that made the First High-Latitude Expedition of the Northern Sea Route under the command of G.A. Ushakov. The ship entered the Greenland Sea, spitsbergen circled from the north, crossed to the north coast of Novaya Zemlya, and then, turning north, reached 82° 41.6'N - a record at that time for a free-floating ship. The island of Ushakov was discovered. 
In the winter of 1935–1936, Nikolayev served in the Commission for the Supervision of the Construction of New Icebreakers, then he was engaged in escorting warships, for which he was awarded the Order of the Red Star. In the subsequent pre-war years, he commanded icebreakers "L. Kaganovich” in the eastern sector and “Lenin” in the western sector of the Arctic. 
The war found Nikolaev in Leningrad. He became the commander of the icebreaker "Stepan Makarov", which was part of the Baltic Fleet. 
Since 1945 the honored captain went to teaching, was the head of the department and the dean of LVIMU. He dealt with icebreaking and ice navigation tactics. Many of his students have become captains of modern ships. 
He died in Leningrad, buried at the Bolsheokhtinsky cemetery. 
Cape in the east of the island of Luigi archipelago Franz-Josef Land. Called in 1954 by cartographers.


Return to the main page