Nygaard William Martin
(06.02.1865 - 19.12.1952)
Norwegian publisher and politician.
Born in Christiania (Oslo) in the family of teacher and linguist Marius Nyugaard (1838–1912) and his wife Elizabeth “Eliz” Martin (1842–1923).
In 1894 he bought a house on Drammensveien 99 and moved with his family. It is in the garden outside the Drammensveien 99 that the annual party in the Aschehoug garden is held every summer.
In 1887 Nygaard worked at the H. Aschehoug & Co bookstore in Christiania. In 1888 he bought a bookstore and a publishing house together with Torstein Lambrecht. Then, in 1900 he became the sole owner of the publishing house and changed the name of the company to H. Aschehoug & Co (W. Nygaard). He was the executive director of the publishing house until 1940, when his son Mads Wil Nyugaard took the post of chief executive officer. William Martin Nygaard continued to work as chairman of the board.
In 1895 William Nyugaard initiated the creation of the Norwegian Publishers Association and served as chairman from 1895 to 1922 and from 1925 to 1929.
Actively engaged in political activities, was a member of the city council of Christiania from 1908 to 1919. In 1910 he became one of the founders of the Liberal Left Party political party, which led the local branch in Christiania until 1916. He was a member of the central council of the party from 1912 to 1915. In 1921 he was elected to the Parliament of Norway, where he represented the Christiania constituency. Departed only one term.
Nygaard is also known as a board member of the Oslo City Museum (1902–1922), the Norwegian Booksellers Association (1905–1918), the National Theater (1922–1923), and the Norwegian Museum of Decorative Arts and Design.
A glacier to the west of the head section of the Bok Fjord in the north of the Land of Haakon VII, the island of Western Spitsbergen. The coordinates are 79° 20'N 13° 00'E.
Return to the main page