Zolotov Anatoly Nikolaevich 

Arctic hydrologist, honorary polar explorer. 
Born in the Vologda province of the Vologda district of the Bogorodsky volost in the village of Mstishina in a large family of a peasant middle peasant. 
In 1925, Zolotov graduated from the village school, then the Vologda school, stage II, and in 1930 began working in the Vologda railway workshops as an apprentice electrician. In 1931 he moved to Leningrad and got a job as an electrician in Lensnabsbyt. 
Wanting to continue his education, in 1933 he entered the Telecommunications Institute, but in January 1933, due to material problems, he quit his job and, after completing training at the courses of technicians-hydrologists at the Institute of Scientific Research Institute, in June 1934 he enlisted as a junior hydrologist at polar station Uedineniya island  in the Kara Sea. It was his first Arctic wintering, which lasted until September 1935 and determined his whole life. A few months later, Zolotov, in his post as a senior hydrologist, wintered at Cape Shelagsky Cape, and in 1938–1939. on polar station Cape Chelyuskin. In April 1939, by decision of the
Main Directorate of the Northern Sea Route leadership with a group of comrades, he moved to Cape Tin of the southern island of Bolshevik, Severnaya Zemlya. For the fulfillment of this task, Zolotov was awarded the title “Honorary Polar Explorer”, highly valued at that time. 
Upon returning after passing special training in Moscow for the acquisition of a new navigation equipment, Zolotov headed the wintering and meteorological observation on  Tyrtov Island. Returning in September 1940, he began preparations for a new wintering, but the war intervened in his plans, as well as in the plans of the whole country. 
At first, Zolotov served in the Baltic Fleet, taking courses in training for commanders of anti-aircraft units. Then he was seconded to the Leningrad front and, at the request of the operational department of the front headquarters, was sent to the hydrometeorological sector, where he served until March 1942, when, at the request of
the Main Directorate of the Northern Sea Route, he was demobilized and sent to Krasnoyarsk, where the Arctic Research Institute was evacuated. As it turned out, the war began for him from that very moment. 
olotov was appointed to the construction of polar station Cape Molotov, the northernmost point of the Severnaya Zemlya archipelago. From Arkhangelsk he went to Dikson, and from there to the “A. Sibiryakov" to the destination. In the area of Belukha island of Nordensheld archipelago hosted the battle of the poorly armed "Sibiryakov" with the first-class German “pocket” battleship "Admiral Scheer", heading for Dikson. This unequal battle, during which the Sibiryakov was sunk, played a crucial role in disrupting the plans of the German command to disrupt the Arctic military transport. 
When the Sibiryakov began to sink, the surviving sailors tried to reach the shore, but the Germans, after lowering the motorbike, took them prisoner. Zolotov came to Norway, to Narvik, from where he was transported to Poland, where he was employed at the port of Gdynia. 
After the arrival of the Red Army, he was sent to a transit point, and in May 1945 he was enlisted in one of the reserve regiments of the 2nd Belorussian Front. Zolotov graduated from the service on November 28, 1945 with a mortar-gunner of the small Koenigsberg regiment and returned to work at the
Arctic Research Institute in the department of the ice-synoptic service as a research officer. With the start of navigation, Zolotov went on an expedition, during which he participated in the flights of the ice reconnaissance aircraft. On June 22, 1948, he set off on a regular expedition. 
On one of the autumn days, the crew of the LI-2 aircraft made a long and difficult ice reconnaissance flight from Amderma. In Amderma, when the weather was reasonably good, they reached Cape Desire across the Kara Sea, then crossed the Barents Sea to
Franz Josef Land, where they found out the ice conditions and navigation conditions on the way to the archipelago and in the straits. Having successfully completed the task, they turned back and, having passed the Cape of Desire, found a completely changed meteorological situation. The strongest headwind was blowing, the stormy sea was covered by fog, which to the south grew thicker. The ground speed has fallen sharply, and it was not possible to determine it. During the radio talks, it became clear that when the estimated time had passed and the fuel was coming to an end, quarrels began in the crew. The commander of the Adam's crew, by a willful decision, ignoring the navigator's opinion, turned the plane to the right, to the west, wishing to go to the coast of Novaya Zemlya, to be able to make an emergency landing on land, in which case. Every few minutes the radio operator transmitted a message that there was a storm sea and fog under them. The last message of the radio operator was that he, apparently, would cease communication from minute to minute, as the engines were about to stop.The radio operator said goodbye to everyone. 
On the search was sent several aircraft. Soon a gas barrel was discovered in the Haypudyr Bay of the Barents Sea. She managed to pick up and find out that she was from Adamov's plane. How did the plane end up in the Barents Sea? Apparently, turning to the west, in the middle of the  Kara gate strait, having a width of 40–60 km, the commander in the fog did not notice the coast and jumped from one sea to another, where, after an engine failure, he landed a land plane. On subsequent searches in the same lip, an empty clipperbot was found on the shallows. It contained property that indicated that someone from the crew had managed to disembark. 
Absolutely exactly that Zolotov was in the boat, since at the bottom of her they found his uniform cap. Quite a real version of what happened looks like this.  After a successful landing on the water through the door was thrown tied to the fuselage clipbot. Most likely, three people managed to get into it, then the cable was torn by a strong wave, and the boat was moved from the sinking plane. Things are preserved, so it can be argued that the clipperbot did not roll over. Because of the impossibility of being in ice-cold water, the clipperbot was sitting, apparently, on its sides, from which they were simply stiffly washed away by the wave. 
The commission investigating the catastrophe found that if the commander had not changed course, the plane would arrive safely in Amderma, where the weather was good. 
In addition to Zolotov and commander V.A. Adamov, killed navigator Kruglov, mechanic L. Golovin and radio operator Oleinik. The glacier dome on Hoffmann Island in the Franz Josef Land Archipelago was named after Adamov (1913–1948) by the
Arctic Research Institute glaciologists in 1960. The name was approved by the Arkhangelsk Regional Executive Committee in 1963 (Decision No. 651). 
Cape on the island of Wilczek and the lake on the island of Arthur of the archipelago Franz-Josef Land. 
Named in 1960.


Return to the main page