Sergeev Mikhail Mikhailovich 
(03(16).12.1891–1977 *)

Sailor and pilot. 
Born in the village of Sretensky, Kotelnichesky district, Vyatka province, in a large family of a parish priest. In 1910 he graduated from the Vyatka gymnasium with a silver medal, and in 1913 - the Naval Cadet Corps. Being in practice in Sevastopol, Sergeyev saw the training of sea pilots and fell ill with aviation. In the same 1913 he entered the school of sea pilots in St. Petersburg, He was fascinated by the sky, and in 1916 he entered the school of sea pilots located on Gutuyev Island of Petrograd, where they were taught to fly M-2 seaplanes. Sergeev graduated from it after three years and was sent to the Black Sea in the division of naval aviation. One of the combat missions of Lieutenant Sergeev and his flight mechanic, non-commissioned officer, Tura, went down in aviation history as the seizure of a naval vessel by plane. This fight was described in the newspaper "The Russian Word" on March 22, 1917 and is called the "boarding from the sky".  Inspired by the bombing, Sergeev dropped to an altitude of 400–500 m and came under fire. The plane was damaged, had to go for a forced landing. Not far away they saw a Turkish sailing schooner and attacked it. After the machine-gun queue, the team left the ship on the boat. The pilots flew to the ship, took a machine gun, rifle, compass, camera and other valuables from it and went to Sevastopol under sail. The skills gained by Sergeev in the naval corps turned out to be very opportune. For this feat, the commander of the Black Sea Fleet, Vice-Admiral A.V. Kolchak awarded him a nominal golden weapon. 
A few days later, in an unequal battle with three German planes, Sergeev was wounded, shot down and captured, from which he returned only in December 1918. 
His military achievements in the First World War were marked by the orders of St. Stanislav with a sword and bows and St. George 4 degrees.



Sergeyev joined the Red Army and consistently held a number of command posts on the Eastern, South-Western and Southern fronts. In 1921, Sergeyev was appointed head of the air fleet of the Black and Azov seas. In subsequent years, he served as deputy chief of the Red Army Air Force, and taught at the Zhukovsky Air Force Academy. A brilliant scientific career awaited him, but he unexpectedly for all went on an expedition to the North.

In the period 1933 - 1934 Sergeev on the presentation of O. Yu. Schmidt was the deputy head of the West Taimyr research expedition to the naval unit of the Northern Sea Front on the expedition ship "Belukha", which was headed by the head of the aviation research sector of the Air Service Directorate of the Main Directorate of the Northern Sea Route I.A. Landin. Prior to the commencement of systematic hydrographic work, the territory of the Great Arctic Reserve was studied by large complex expeditions, among which the voyages on the Belukha schooner, the former Hobby, whose captain was A.K. Burke, who bought it in Norway in 1932 for the joint stock company Komseverputi. The main task of the West Taymir expedition was to search for places of possible construction of Arctic airfields to support polar aviation flights. Coming out of Arkhangelsk on the “Belukha” schooner, the expedition members explored the islands, including Solitude and Kruzenshtern, reached the Fram Strait, the archipelago of Izvestia Central Executive Committee, and did a number of important scientific works. A documentary film was made about the expedition of the West Taymir expedition. On the way back to Arkhangelsk "Belukha" ran into an ice floe, got a hole and sank. Expedition members saved the ship "Arkos".

In the following years, Sergeev worked as an aircraft armament engineer in the group of L.V. Kurchevsky, who developed a dynamo-jet cannon (DRP), an engineer at an artillery plant in Podlipky (now the city of Korolev). 
Since the beginning of World War II, he filed a report addressed to the People's Commissar of the Soviet Navy and was sent to the front. As a high-class specialist, he was appointed inspector of artillery of the Volga Military Flotilla, where he met with his son, Konstantin, who graduated from the Higher Naval Engineering School named after F.E. Dzerzhinsky. In Stalingrad, father and son stayed from the first to the last day of his heroic defense. 
After the Battle of Stalingrad, Sergeev, being a regional engineer of the administration, dealt with the use of aircraft weapons, was awarded the Order of the Red Star, the medals "For the Defense of Stalingrad", "For Victory over Germany", "For Victory over Japan" and "For Labor Difference". Finished the war in the rank of lieutenant colonel. 
After the war, he continued teaching, and only in 1963 he retired. 
He died in Moscow and was buried at the Vagankovo cemetery.


* Grandson M.M. Sergeev A.K. Sergeev believes that the inscription on the tombstone is erroneous. Grandfather died in 1974, buried on August 4. Need to understand.






Pologiy-Sergeeva Island

(photo by EA Gusev)






























The island (Pologiy-Sergeev) in the Izvestia CEC archipelago. It is a two islands connected by a narrow isthmus. The West-Yenisei expedition on the “Belukha” schooner named one of them Sergeyev Island, and the second Gronsky Island - an employee of the NKVD. In 1938, the second island was renamed to Pologiy. Later they began to use the combined name.


Bay in the west of the island of Pologiy-Sergeev in the archipelago of Izvestia CEC in the Kara Sea. The name was approved by the decision of the Dikson regional executive committee of March 1, 1965.


Return to the main page