Sergeev Mikhail Mikhailovich
Sergeyev joined the Red Army and consistently held a number of command posts on the Eastern, South-Western and Southern fronts. In 1921, Sergeyev was appointed head of the air fleet of the Black and Azov seas. In subsequent years, he served as deputy chief of the Red Army Air Force, and taught at the Zhukovsky Air Force Academy. A brilliant scientific career awaited him, but he unexpectedly for all went on an expedition to the North.
In the period 1933 - 1934 Sergeev on the presentation of O. Yu. Schmidt was the deputy head of the West Taimyr research expedition to the naval unit of the Northern Sea Front on the expedition ship "Belukha", which was headed by the head of the aviation research sector of the Air Service Directorate of the Main Directorate of the Northern Sea Route I.A. Landin. Prior to the commencement of systematic hydrographic work, the territory of the Great Arctic Reserve was studied by large complex expeditions, among which the voyages on the Belukha schooner, the former Hobby, whose captain was A.K. Burke, who bought it in Norway in 1932 for the joint stock company Komseverputi. The main task of the West Taymir expedition was to search for places of possible construction of Arctic airfields to support polar aviation flights. Coming out of Arkhangelsk on the “Belukha” schooner, the expedition members explored the islands, including Solitude and Kruzenshtern, reached the Fram Strait, the archipelago of Izvestia Central Executive Committee, and did a number of important scientific works. A documentary film was made about the expedition of the West Taymir expedition. On the way back to Arkhangelsk "Belukha" ran into an ice floe, got a hole and sank. Expedition members saved the ship "Arkos".
In the following years, Sergeev worked as an aircraft armament
engineer in the group of L.V. Kurchevsky, who developed a
dynamo-jet cannon (DRP), an engineer at an artillery plant in
Podlipky (now the city of Korolev).
* Grandson M.M. Sergeev A.K. Sergeev believes that the inscription on the tombstone is erroneous. Grandfather died in 1974, buried on August 4. Need to understand.
The island (Pologiy-Sergeev) in the Izvestia CEC archipelago. It is a two islands connected by a narrow isthmus. The West-Yenisei expedition on the “Belukha” schooner named one of them Sergeyev Island, and the second Gronsky Island - an employee of the NKVD. In 1938, the second island was renamed to Pologiy. Later they began to use the combined name.
Bay in the west of the island of Pologiy-Sergeev in the archipelago of Izvestia CEC in the Kara Sea. The name was approved by the decision of the Dikson regional executive committee of March 1, 1965.
Return to the main page