Osten-Saken Fedor Romanovich 
 (1832–19.03(01.04).1916)


Russian scientist and statesman. 
He graduated from the law school at St. Petersburg University and joined the Asian department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Osten-Sacken was not a desk worker, he spent long months on distant expeditions. 
In 1857  Osten-Sacken accompanied Count Putyatin to China and visited the Russian shores of the Sea of  Japan and the islands of Ceylon. 
In 1867  he  together with Colonel Poltoratsky  made a bold tour of Central Asia to the southern spurs of the Tien Shan, visited Naryn region, Lake Chatyr-Kul, and reached almost to Kashgar, where Yakub-bek, who was unfriendly towards Russia, then ruled Russia. During the expedition, Osten-Sacken collected an extensive herbarium, subsequently processed by Academician Ruprecht. 
Great work was carried out by Osten-Sacken in the Imperial Russian Geographical Society. He took an active part in equipping the expedition to study the grain trade and productivity in European Russia, worked in the commission of the society on the publication of scribal books. In 1870, an extensive note of Osten-Saken to work on Lake Issyk-Kul and its remains of ancient buildings found at the bottom was published, in 1872 he participated in the development of the issue of publishing an ethnographic map of Russia, and in 1890 special time edition on meteorology. 
Repeatedly Osten-Saken performed the duties of secretary, chairman of branches and vice-president of the IRGO; was his honorary member, was a member of the Commission of the Academy of Sciences on the equipment of the expedition E.V. Toll. 
In 1870–1897 he served as Director of the Department of Internal Relations of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which began with him the publication of a number of interesting works related to his activities. 
He died in Petrograd. Buried at Smolensk Lutheran Cemetery. 
Cape in the north-west of the Taimyr Gulf. Named in 1901 by E.V. Toll. 
Mountain on the island of Edge, Svalbard. The coordinates are 78° 08.3'N    22° 42.5'E. 
Named in 1870  by A. Peterman.

 

Return to the main page