Sergievsky Dmitry Nikanorovich 

Soviet arctic captain. 
Born in Chita in the family of a teacher. He studied at the gymnasium, but his passion for the sea, which was not very clear for a Chita boy, forced him to leave school and go to Vladivostok. He became a sailor, and in 1914 entered the Vladivostok Maritime Naval School: he studied in the winter, received theoretical training, and in the summer he sailed on commercial ships, gaining practical experience in maritime service. 
The First World War began, many of the Vladivostok youths, comrades of Sergievsky, were jealous of those who left to fight. Immediately after receiving a diploma navigator in 1917, Sergievsky on mobilization went to Petrograd in the 2nd Baltic Fleet crew, where he was enrolled in the school of midshipmen of wartime. 
The situation on the fronts was tense, a revolution was brewing, and at the end of September cadets without exams were sent to warships. Sergievsky was appointed navigator officer at the Bereya mine-network barricade assigned to Helsingfors, but military service did not last long — he was demobilized after the revolution. 
While still studying with Sergievsky, a tendency towards research was evident, he followed with interest, for example, the progress of the hydrographic expedition of the Arctic Ocean under the command of B.А. Vilkitsky, dreamed of someday to take part in these or similar studies. In 1918, it seemed, there were real chances of participating in such an expedition, but all plans were violated by the outbreak of civil war. Sergievsky returned to Vladivostok and entered Dobroflot, on whose ships he worked for ten years and rose to the level of captain. 
In 1930, Sergievsky made his first voyage to the North, taking a steamer from Vladivostok to the mouth of the Kolyma. The track was not examined at all at that time, the captains studied it, as they say, with a keel and sides. He navigated three navigations as an ordinary captain, then became head of the Kolyma expedition. As a rule, trips to Kolyma ended in wintering, Sergievsky, however, won the glory of a non-captain. 

In 1935, he moved to the Main Directorate of the Northern Sea Route system; as an assistant chief of maritime operations, he led the movement of vessels in the eastern sector of the Arctic. 
In the severe year of 1937, Sergievsky commanded the steamer “Rabochy”, which, as part of a caravan driven by the icebreaker “Lenin”, was wintering in the ice of the Khatanga Bay. Wintering ended tragically. January 23, 1938 the ship was crushed by ice. The last to leave him was the captain. 
In 1939, Sergievsky moved to Moscow, receiving an appointment as a senior naval inspector at the Arctic Fleet and Port Authority. In this post, his high demands, honesty, impartiality, which combined him with sincerity, compassion, goodwill, modesty, were even more pronounced. 
Having occupied a high administrative post, Sergievsky, nevertheless, did not want to move away from practical work at sea. With the start of navigation, he took on the implementation of complex non-standard operations. On the icebreaker "Krasin" participated in the search for the missing plane S.A. Levanevsky, commanded the steamer “Revolutionary”, which participated in the operation from the west to the east of dredgers and tugboats, in the navigation operation in 1939, in the summer of 1940 as an ice pilot with A.G. Karelskyh led the German raider “Komet” from west to east by the North Sea, and in the winter of 1941, as a group captain, guided the risky pilotage of two excavators from Arkhangelsk to Murmansk. 
His participation in the Arctic voyages did not stop with the beginning of the war.

Sergievsky died in the Barents Sea west of Bear Island when returning from a business trip abroad, together with the ship "Stalingrad", which was marching from England with military cargoes in the convoy PQ-18 and torpedoed by a German submarine.

Strait in the Chukchi Sea, separating the island Kolyuchin from the mainland. Named no later than 1945.


Return to the main page