Skvortsov Sergey Ivanovich
Born in the village of Vashaki of the Tula district of the Tula
province in a peasant family.
Until 1925, Skvortsov lived in the village, then two years in
Kiev, two years in Moscow, a year in Ulan-Ude.
He worked as a bookbinder, bakery worker, builder.
In 1930 he moved to Leningrad, settled in the printing house
"Printing House", then graduated from the Rabfak at the Leningrad
Institute of Spinning Crops and courses of hydrographs, after which
he was sent to the West Siberian Hydrographic Office in Omsk, where
he headed the boat survey.
In 1936, Skvortsov was sent to study at Leningrad in the
Hydrographic Institute, from which, after two years of study, he was
dismissed for illness.
He worked at the Russian Diesel plant, but in 1941, as soon as
his health allowed, he returned to hydrography, becoming an employee
Main Directorate of the Northern Sea Route.
Before the start of the war, Skvortsov managed to work on the
hidrographic steamer “Professor Vize”, and in the war and postwar
years he worked as a hydrograph, senior hydrograph, and head of the
survey party in the Olenek and Nordvik expeditions.
His qualifications were so high that no one guessed about his
lack of higher education.
In 1948, at the conclusion of the medical commission, Skvortsov
was forced to stop working in the Arctic and transferred to the
Giproarctic project, but a year later, at the first opportunity he
returned to the
Main Directorate of the Northern Sea Route, underwent a medical commission and worked
as a senior hydrograph on the hydrographic vessel "Vest" and head of
the survey party on the hydrographic ship "Yana".
But it was his, as they say, “swan song”.
In 1950, Skvortsov finally retired and soon died in Leningrad.
Skvortsov's activity was awarded the medal "For Labor
Bay on the southern coast of
the island of Alexandra Land in the archipelago of Franz Josef Land.
The name was given by polar hydrographs and approved by the
Arkhangelsk Regional Executive Committee (Decision No. 651).