Sluchevsky Konstantin Konstantinovich
Famous poet and prose writer.
Born in St. Petersburg in a noble family.
In 1855 he graduated from the cadet corps, served in the Semenov
regiment, then entered the Academy of the General Staff.
The first verses of Sluchevsky, marked with the initials “KS”,
and translations from V. Hugo, O. Barbier and J.G.
Byron's were published in the journal Responsible Gazette in
1857, a series of poems published by the magazine Illustration.
The talent of Sluchevsky was highly appreciated by A. Grigoriev
Turgenev, with whose assistance in 1860 appeared his publications
in Sovremennik and Otechestvennye Zapiski.
Grigoriev in Son of the Fatherland did not hesitate to put
Sluchevsky next to M. Lermontov and above A. Fet, Y. Polonsky, V.
Maikov and F. Tyutchev.
The comparisons were insightful, but the undeserved and excessive
praises were taken by the authors of the extremely left satirical
weekly "Iskra", the parody poets D. Minaev and N. Loman, who ridiculed
the “cemetery” pathos of the new genius.
They were joined by N. Dobrolyubov, who called him “the genius of
common places” and also published a murderous parody of verses by
Fatally offended, Sluchevsky stopped printing, left military
service and went abroad.
He studied in Paris, Berlin and Heidelberg, where in 1865 he
received the degree of Doctor of Philosophy.
Returning to Russia, the first thing he paid back to his
persecutors was Democrats, publishing in 1866–1867.
three pamphlets, sarcastically denouncing N. Chernyshevsky and D.
This created him a new, odious reputation that hindered the
promotion of the literary field, but helped make a career in the
Ministry of the Interior and the department of state assets.
Sluchevsky - the editor-in-chief of the Government Gazette, at
the end of his life the Privy Councilor, the chamberlain, a member
of the council of the Main Department of Press Affairs.
Sluchevsky returned to the poetic field only in 1871.
Sluchevsky's poetry always caused a wide division of opinions:
admirers valued him very highly, calling him the “king” of Russian
poetry, dedicated books to him, but much of journalism treated him
coldly, and sometimes mockingly.
With the award in 1899 Pushkin Prizes N.A.
Kotlyarevsky, to whom the Academy of Sciences commissioned an
analysis of Sluchevsky’s poems, called for the award of the 1st
category to the venerable poet — the full prize, but decided to
limit the majority of votes to an honorary comment.
The unevenness of the poetic merits of his poems quite
corresponds to the different attitudes of criticism towards
Sluchevsky was a member of the Imperial Russian Geographic
Society, made several trips around Russia in the retinue of Grand
Duke Vladimir Alexandrovich and described them in his writings “In
the North of Russia.
Journey of Their Imperial Highness the Great Prince.
Vladimir Alexandrovich and the Great Prince.
Maria Pavlovna" and "In the North-West of Russia".
He died in St. Petersburg, buried in the
Marble slab with a metal cross.
Cape on the island of Rastorguev in
the Taimyr Gulf of the Kara Sea.
Initially, the cape in 1901 was named by
named A.V. Kolchak.
The cape got its real name after the entire island of Rastorguev
was named after Kolchak (until 1937) (reported by
September 1, 2009, the staff of the Marine Arctic Complex
Expedition (MAKE) of the Russian Research Institute of Cultural and
Institute) and the Polar Research Foundation established a
memorial sign at Cape Sluchevsky in honor of Alexander V. Kolchak
(1874 - 1920), whose name was returned to the island in 2005.
(Photo from www.ocean.ru/content/view)