Suslov Innokentiy Mikhailovich
(31.07.1893–26.04.1972)


Historian and ethnographer, mineralogist, public and political figure.
Born in Turukhansk in the family of a deacon and a music school teacher.A huge role in the development of his personality was played by his father, Mikhail Mikhailovich (1869–1929), the son of Archimandrite Macarius and the Yakut Eufemia of the Botulu clan. For disobedience to a parish school teacher, from the age of eleven he lived among strangers for 1,200 versts from his homeland to the nomad Evenk Nicholas Pel at the polar lake Chirinda (Evenkia). Having received the forgiveness of his father in 10 years, Mikhail Mikhailovich remained forever with the northern people who raised him, and did not break the connection until the end of his life. He was introduced by his father to the bishop Akakia and began to serve as a deacon of the Holy Trinity Cathedral in Turukhansk. In 1911, Mikhail Mikhailovich was appointed Essene catechist with a residence on the shore of Lake Chirinda.
In Soviet times, M.M. Suslov worked as head of the economy Evenkyskoy kultbazy. Well knowing the Tungus language, he was a conductor and translator of many expeditions. They compiled a Tungus-Russian dictionary, one of the manuscripts of which is stored in the regional museum.
The son continued the work of his grandfather and father. His fate was closely connected with the life of the Evenks and Yakuts. The father's desire to see his son a scientist who could carry the knowledge of the peoples of the North and help find a way to a new life, became for him a program of action. Suslov belonged to that part of northern scientists who not only explored the North and learned it theoretically, but also rebuilt it practically. He made a major contribution to the study of the material and spiritual culture of the indigenous population of the North of the Krasnoyarsk Territory. During his fruitful life, he collected a large amount of material on Siberia and the Far North, which reflects the multifaceted activities of the scientist.
Suslov received his initial education in the gymnasium of the city of Yeniseisk; already in those years he began to engage in ethnographic studies of the Kets, the Jurak, the Tungus in the Turukhansk region; became interested in the problem of the Tunguska meteorite; In 1911 he founded the first meteorological station of the II category in Yeniseisk and for two years was an observer on it.
After graduating from high school in 1913, Suslov entered the natural department of the Physics and Mathematics Faculty of St. Petersburg University with the intention of gaining the knowledge necessary for a comprehensive study of the North. Just before the war in 1914, he managed to take part in an ethnographic expedition of the Academy of Sciences in the Turukhansk region. He collected ethnographic collections, recorded shaman rites on a wax phonograph (stored in the Museum of Ethnography of St. Petersburg); a herbarium from the watershed of the Kureika River and the northern tributary of the Lower Tunguska (stored at the Botanical Institute of St. Petersburg); entomological collections (stored in the Yenisei and Krasnoyarsk museums).
Since the beginning of the war, Suslov took four-month accelerated courses at the Pavlovsk Military School and from 1915 to 1918. held in Chelyabinsk and Simbirsk in the post of chief of staff of the 32nd and 34th infantry reserve brigades.
After the revolution, he took an active part in the formation of the first Soviet corps of the border guard, held command positions in the border troops of the Western Front in Smolensk, then was transferred to Siberia and participated in the formation of the Siberian military district.
Having demobilized in 1922, Suslov, as a member of the Russian Communist Party (Bolsheviks), carried out an assignment from the Sibbureau of the Russian Communist Party (Bolsheviks) to recreate the building of a former commercial club in Novosibirsk and create a Working Palace with an opera in it. He was elected chairman of the board of the Workers' Palace and conductor. He participated in the organization of a subdivision of musical ethnographic research in the West Siberian department of the Geographical Society.
All subsequent life of Suslova was filled with scientific, public and administrative work. His responsibilities, positions, interests were extremely wide: creating a culture base in Siberia, leading the Krasnoyarsk Committee of the North and membership in the Committee of the North under the Presidium of the All-Russian Central Executive Committee, organizing Soviets in the Yenisei North, opening industrial deposits of fluorspar, rafting down the Olenek river and creating the "Atlas of the River Olenyok"and descriptions of "Olenek River". Suslov created a total of five atlas of the rivers, for his long years the captains drove ships. After moving from Siberia to Leningrad, Suslov worked in GUSMP in the rank of engineer-captain of the 1st rank, participated in the organization of the Museum of the Arctic. Working as a deputy head of the GUSMP, he made a great contribution to the development of the Northern Sea Route. His interest in the problem of the Tunguska meteorite and the support of the researchers involved in it passed through his life.
In 1941–1942 Suslov participated in the defense of Leningrad in the post of chief of staff of an officer unit, then chief of one of the battalions in the rear of the 54th Army on the Volkhov front. I.D. Papanin recalled him from the Army, and in 1943-1945. Suslov worked as deputy director of the Moscow branch of the Arctic Institute for the scientific part and taught at the Department of Northern Studies at the Faculty of Geography of Moscow University.
In 1946, he returned to Leningrad to restore the Museum of the Arctic, became its director and author of the entire exposition, and at the same time conducted teaching at the geographical, eastern and northern faculties of the Leningrad State University on the problems of the Arctic, Subarctic, and the Far North of the USSR.
In 1950, the academic council of the Leningrad State University Suslov was awarded the academic degree of candidate of geographical sciences without defending his thesis for his scientific papers published in 35 publications and for the creation of 6 new special courses, which he read to students of Leningrad State University.
In 1950–1952 He worked as Deputy Chairman of the Yakut branch of the USSR Academy of Sciences, at the same time conducting public work, being a member of the regional committee of the CPSU, a member of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the YASSR. Returning from illness to Leningrad, Suslov until 1957 headed the State Museum of Ethnography of the Peoples of the USSR.
Since 1957, he is a personal retiree of Union importance.
Died in Leningrad, buried in the Northern cemetery. On the grave is a surprisingly poor gravestone for a man who had such services to the country and science.
Peninsula on the east coast of Taimyr. At the suggestion of the Khatanga Hydro Base, the name was assigned by the decision of the Commission on Geographical Names of the Hydrographic Enterprise Ministry of the Navy September 27, 1972. Approved by the decision of the Krasnoyarsk regional executive committee of February 19, 1973.

 

Return to the main page