Tyagin Evstafy Alekseevich
Russian Arctic hydrograph, colonel of the corps of naval navigators.
Coming from the nobility of the Kherson province.
In 1877 being in the rank of lieutenant of the naval navigator corps, on behalf of the Hydrographic Department gathered in Maly Karmakuly on the west coast of the southern island of Novaya Zemlya a hut brought there by industrialist Fyodor Ivanovich Voronin with material support from the famous monk of the North M.K. Sidorov. It was decided to organize the Novaya Zemlya rescue station in Maly Karmakuly. Tyagin agreed to head its construction and equipment and stay there for the winter. In order to dispel the reputation of a disastrous region that had taken root in Novaya Zemlya, he went there with his wife, two-year-old son, old nanny, girl-cook and sixteen-year-old boy. In the summer of 1878, Tyagin’s group and the builders' artel were brought to the Malye Karmakuly by the schooner “Bakan”. A month and a half was required for the construction and arrangement of the station and the settlement, and as early as September 1, Tyagin began meteorological observations.
In total, together with the industrialists, 42 people remained for the winter.
Wintering was hard. Due to the lack of fresh meat among the Nenets people, scurvy began in winter, which, despite the medical care that Tyagin provided to the industrialists, claimed the lives of four adults and three children. In December, Tyinah had a daughter, Nina, the first Russian native of the archipelago. Tyagin, being sick, with a high fever took delivery himself, he himself baptized a daughter. Only in April, when the massive arrival of birds began, did the food situation get better. Gaining strength, Tyagin with two Nenets made the first attempt in history to cross the New Earth to the Kara side. This attempt failed due to a lack of dog food and snow blindness of participants in the transition. They had to return halfway. Heavy wintering and Tyagin's advice taught the industrialists a lot. For the next winter, they prepared meat even with excess.The commander of the port of Arkhangelsk L. Ukhtomsky, July 23, 1879, who was taking the Tyagin family off the island, reported to the Hydrographic Department: "Wintering Tyagin is clear evidence of the possibility of living there ...". Three years later, the staff of the first Russian polar station, which began operating in the autumn of 1882 under the program of the First International Polar Year, housed in the shelter’s buildings.
For a long time, he was engaged in hydrographic work in the North: he carried out meteorological observations in Arkhangelsk for seven years, made measurements on a Mezen and Pechora, sailed as a navigator on the White Sea, returned to the shores of his native Novaya Zemlya several times. In June 1880, he restored the navigation mark he had built on the island, which soon received his name. Tyagin used to be on Novaya Zemlya in 1887 and 1890, and the Bukhan screw schooner invariably delivered him there.
He died in 1898 in Liepaja in the rank of colonel of the naval navigator corps and was buried in the Sea cemetery. There is an inscription on the tombstone: “Naval navigator corps Colonel Evstafy Alekseevich Tyagin was born on March 5, 1844 - died in 1898. Founder of the colony on Novaya Zemlya”.
An island (Middle or Tyagin) in Moller Bay off the western coast of the southern island of Novaya Zemlya. The first name is given by the New Zemlya industrialists given its location.
Return to the main page