Tolstoy Ivan Ivanovich
Numismatist and archaeologist, statesman.
Born in Petersburg, his father was Ivan Matveyevich Tolstoy, his
son, Minister of Posts and Telegraphs, also Ivan Ivanovich Tolstoy,
a famous Soviet philologist.
Educated at the Law Faculty of St. Petersburg University.
Being a very erudite and enlightened person, Tolstoy successfully
combined scientific and social work with political activities.
His works on archeology and numismatics, published both in Russia
and abroad, are widely known.
He was a member of the Imperial Archaeological Commission, the
press secretary of the Imperial Academy of Arts, and since 1893 its
The contribution of Tolstoy to the drafting of the new charter of
the Academy, its fundamental transformation, the foundation and
organization of the Russian Museum is great.
In the period 1885–1890
He was secretary of the Imperial Russian Archaeological Society,
and since 1899 was the assistant of its chairman.
In 1900, Tolstoy took over as chairman of the Russian Printing
From November 1905 to April 1906, Tolstoy headed the Ministry of
In this time of troubles, he planned a number of indulgences for
both students and teaching staff, opposed the introduction of a
percentage rate for Jews.
Unfortunately, he failed to realize his plans.
In 1912, Tolstoy failed in the elections to the State Duma, but
soon he went to the St. Petersburg City Duma, becoming the city head
of St. Petersburg.
In January 1916, he resigned due to a sharp deterioration in his
health, and four months later he died on the estate of Countess
Panina in Gaspra.
He was buried at
of the Alexander Nevsky Monastery in Petrograd.
In 2008, at the expense of the Fund named after D.S.
Likhachev, instead of the old destroyed tombstone, was installed
a new one designed by the architect V.B.
Cape is the southern
entrance to Romanov Bay in Medvezhiy Bay on the Kara coast of Novaya
Surveyed and named in 1901 by members of the expedition
A small river on the Kara
coast of the northern island of Novaya Zemlya, which
flows into Bear Bay.
Named in 1901 by members of the expedition A.A.