Tuder Sten-Karl Ivanovich

(23.10.1840 05.01.1905)

 

Russian and Finnish statesman and military leader.

Born into a military family.

In 1852 he entered the naval school, after which in 1861 with the rank of midshipman was appointed to the service.

In 1863 he was promoted to midshipman, in 1867 to lieutenant, and on January 1, 1876 to captain-lieutenant.

C 1861 to 1876 Tuder has repeatedly visited foreign voyages: 34 months on the frigates Oslyabya and Alexander Nevsky, the corvette Varyag and the frigate Svetlana, first in the squadron of Admiral S.S. Lesovsky in America, and then with the Grand Duke Alexey Alexandrovich.

In 1868 during the crash of the frigate “Alexander Nevsky” off the coast of Denmark, Tuder was entrusted with saving the remaining things, after which he spent a long time abroad, where he met his future wife at the court of the Danish royal house. From 1875 to the end of 1876, Tuder was a senior officer on the yacht “Derzhava”, on which he went to the Danube as a commander of the joint detachment of two companies of the sapper and guards crew.

Tuder participated in the Russian-Turkish war. On June 15, 1877, commanding the ship “Aneta”, sent 20 thousand people (out of 30 thousand) to the right bank of the Danube. For this feat he was awarded the Order of St. George of the 4th degree and the golden saber with the inscription "For Bravery".

June 18, 1878 promoted to colonel of the Guards' infantry, then renamed the captains 2 rank. From 1885 to 1889 Tuder was the governor of Vyborg. In 1888, he was renamed into state councilors, and on February 26 of the same year, he was appointed Chief Master of the Supreme Court. In 1889 he was appointed senator in the Senate of Finland.

In 1891, Tuder assumed the position of Deputy Chairman of the Prime Minister of Finland. In 1897, he was knighted, and three years later he retired as deputy chairman of the Prime Minister of Finland.

He died in Helsinki.

Cape on the east coast of the Costin Shar strait.  Named by the officers of the "Varyag" corvette and the cliper "Jemchug" in 1870.

 

Return to the main page