Tweedie Alexander

(29.08.1794 - 05.05.1884)


Scottish doctor and writer.

Born in Edinburgh, received primary education at the local Royal High School.

In 1809, Tweedy began studying medicine at the University of Edinburgh, at the same time becoming an apprentice surgeon at the Edinburgh Royal Hospital, in 1815 he received a doctorate in medicine, and in 1817 he became a member of the Royal Board of Edinburgh Surgeons.

Along with Robert Liston, he was elected one of two surgeons at the Royal Hospital. In 1818, Tweedy began practicing in Edinburgh with the intention of perfecting eye surgery. However, in 1820 he moved to London and in 1822 became a licentiate of the College of Physicians, in the same year he was appointed as a physician assistant to the infectious diseases hospital in London. Two years after the retirement of John Armstrong, Tweedy assumed the position of doctor.

Tweedy was a prolific writer; He developed a manual on practical medicine in four volumes, which included chapters on the "nature and treatment of diseases". Tweedy wrote many articles and was one of the editors of this manual. At the same time, he co-authored the Practical Treatise on Cholera.

In 1836 he was elected a doctor of the Educational House, in 1838 he became a member of both the Royal College of Physicians and the Royal Society.

In King's College during the years 1853-1855. Tweedy was an adviser to the president, and in 1858 and 1859. a teacher. In 1861, he quit his post as a doctor at the Infectious Diseases Hospital in London and became the attending physician and vice president of this hospital.

The following year, he published his lectures on the pathology and treatment of fevers.


Teddington Cemetery


In 1866, Tweedy was elected an honorary member of the medical college of doctors of the King and Queen in Ireland. During his career, he was also an examiner in medicine at the University of London.

His practical medical activities lasted until 89 years.

Tweedy died in his home on the outskirts of London Twickenham. He was buried in London at Tdingdington Cemetery, Ss site, grave B. .655.

Bay in the south of the island of Luigi archipelago Franz Josef Land. Described and named by F. Jackson in 1890.


Return to the main page